PDA

View Full Version : Self Replicating Robots

sArA
05-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Self-reproducing Machines

Self-reproduction is a central tenet of biological life that enables its long-term sustainability and evolutionary adaptation. Although these traits are also desirable in many engineered systems, principles of self-reproduction have not been exploited in machine design. Here we demonstrate a set of autonomous modular robots capable of physical self-reproduction.
A physical system is self-reproducing if it is capable of constructing a detached, functional copy of itself, which – by definition – is also capable of self-reproduction. Self-reproduction differs from self-assembly, where the resulting system is not capable of making, catalyzing or in some way inducing more copies of itself. These phenomena have been a target of significant interest since the early days of computation, but have been examined mostly in abstract and simulated systems.

source (http://king.trblogs.com/archives/2005/05/selfreplicating.html?trk=nl)

:blink:

Guillaume
05-13-2005, 09:39 AM
The humans have spotted us. Exterminaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate! :shifty:

edit: by the way, I find this part a bit reassuring.

They self-replicate by using additional modules placed in special "feeding locations."
They still have to be given the needed pieces to "replicate".
Which gives us a bit of time to stash weapons and food and find a nice underground shelter...

iamtheoneandonlyone
05-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Yeah...I'm sure robots can replicate themselves. :dry: :ermm:

manker
05-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Snny's been researching this for years :ermm:

GepperRankins
05-13-2005, 11:21 AM
did you know aphids don't need teh sex and the can reproduce every 20 minutes. or is the bbc lying to be again? :dry:

manker
05-13-2005, 11:23 AM
So can strawberry plants.

Maybe every 20 minutes is pushing it tho' :unsure:

Mr. Mulder
05-13-2005, 11:50 AM
i hope they're stupid robots like the daleks, cos then if they try anything we can just go up some stairs :ermm:

Barbarossa
05-13-2005, 11:58 AM
i hope they're stupid robots like the daleks, cos then if they try anything we can just go up some stairs :ermm:

E - LE - VATE! :cry:

Seriously, though, Replicators huh, great idea... :frusty:

bigboab
05-13-2005, 11:58 AM
So can strawberry plants.

Maybe every 20 minutes is pushing it tho' :unsure:

They still require cream in the end. Ooooer Missus.:lol:

peat moss
05-13-2005, 01:36 PM
They still require cream in the end. Ooooer Missus.:lol:

Me thinks their DOING it wrong ! :shutup: