PDA

View Full Version : Are you bigoted?

(>Zero Cool<)
06-14-2005, 12:51 PM
had this conversation with a mate the other day................(this is what happens during the close season when the adverts are on :( ) and he asked if i was bigoted, raist, homophobic or anything of that sort. My immediate reaction was that i'm not but when i really thought about it I guess I actually am in some aspects. What about you if you are trully honest with yourself, do you judge people before knowing them based upon a particular characteristic or suchlike they have? Our conclusion was that nearly everyone is in some way or another. :huh:

GepperRankins
06-14-2005, 12:54 PM
nope. some of my best friends are black....

manker
06-14-2005, 12:58 PM
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own. I'm definitely not bigoted.

I think what you describe, Zero, isn't being a bigot.

GepperRankins
06-14-2005, 01:00 PM
prejudiced?

bigboab
06-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Sadly I think a lot of white people are thretened when they are younger. If you dont behave the big black man will come and get you'. I dont know if the reverse happens in the coloured communities.

I also think if that most people are wary of anyone different from them in any way shape or form. Its nature. I dont think any of this makes you bigoted however.

I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions.:(

Personally I support both black and white.:cool:

MCHeshPants420
06-14-2005, 01:10 PM
I hate you all equally.

bigboab
06-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Because of his alleged lack of height. If you dont like Busyman are you weeoted?:unsure:

(>Zero Cool<)
06-14-2005, 01:19 PM
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own. I'm definitely not bigoted.

I think what you describe, Zero, isn't being a bigot.

as usual :rolleyes: you are correct I, given that defenition, have mis-used the term as gep rankins suggests perhaps prejudiced would be a better choice. Hopefully you get the just of my point all the same. Oh and btw I am now prejudiced against people who continually correct grammer ;) oh and cheese too just saw his post :schnauz:

GepperRankins
06-14-2005, 01:20 PM
i think the way to not being prejudiced is to admit you are.

too many people are quick to crucify you for saying something remotely racist. i reckon these people even guilt trip themselves whenever they even recognise a difference between them and another person and never open themselves up to investigate why they think anything.

the first "black" person i ever met was at highschool, at first i thought "OMGBBQ! a black person!?" after a few weeks we were ok mates and i never even thought of him as a "black person" anymore. i don't really think of anyone by their race anymore, because i've grown used to them.

(>Zero Cool<)
06-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Sadly I think a lot of white people are thretened when they are younger. If you dont behave the big black man will come and get you'. I dont know if the reverse happens in the coloured communities.

I also think if that most people are wary of anyone different from them in any way shape or form. Its nature. I dont think any of this makes you bigoted however.

I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions.:(

I reckon I haven't explained myself very well :( , srry, what i am getting at is all sorts of things not just racial. Religion, sexual preference, nationality, colour of skin etc etc I suppose even what team you support... just something that means you prejudge someone ...................note to self:never try and sound like you have a clue, perhaps this explains why i don't start a lot of threads:frusty: :P

bigboab
06-14-2005, 01:24 PM

I reckon I haven't explained myself very well :( , srry, what i am getting at is all sorts of things not just racial. Religion, sexual preference, nationality, colour of skin etc etc.

I'll excuse you this time. :)Maybe your asteroids are playing up. You can get cream for them.:cry:

(>Zero Cool<)
06-14-2005, 01:25 PM
I reckon I haven't explained myself very well :( , srry, what i am getting at is all sorts of things not just racial. Religion, sexual preference, nationality, colour of skin etc etc.

I'll excuse you this time. :)Maybe your asteroids are playing up. You can get cream for them.:cry:

:frusty: :lol:

Snee
06-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Xenophobia is a perfectly natural thing.

You are only an arse if you act upon it, ie if you discriminate or otherwise treat people badly because of their gender, the colour of their skin or something else that really doesn't tell you who they are.

Anyone who calls you a bigot, racist, or whatever, purely because you initially think of/react to others in a certain way can go f*** themselves. Some things that we find alien/different/odd will inevitably be percieved as scary, there's a reason for that.

Xenophobia is just one aspect of our survival instinct, it's just like whatever psychological mechanism we have that keeps us from trying to pick up snakes or to pet tigers, for instance.

You can't trust everyone and all that. And the more different from you they are, the harder they are to read, and the more careful you'll be. It's instinct, and sometimes very useful. Our psyches just work this way, partly it's a remnant of how we were in harsher times, but it's still useful, as all of us can't be trusted.

They say that when infants (and possibly adults as well) smell something (truly) unfamiliar, it'll automatically smell bad, this is just an aspect of the same thing.

(>Zero Cool<)
06-14-2005, 02:11 PM
Xenophobia is a perfectly natural thing.

You are only an arse if you act upon it, ie if you discriminate or otherwise treat people badly because of their gender, the colour of their skin or something else that really doesn't tell you who they are.

Anyone who calls you a bigot, racist, or whatever, purely because you initially think of/react to others in a certain way can go f*** themselves. Some things that we find alien/different/odd will inevitably be percieved as scary, there's a reason for that.

Xenophobia is just one aspect of our survival instinct, it's just like whatever psychological mechanism we have that keeps us from trying to pick up snakes or to pet tigers, for instance.

You can't trust everyone and all that. And the more different from you they are, the harder they are to read, and the more careful you'll be. It's instinct, and sometimes very useful. Our psyches just work this way, partly it's a remnant of how we were in harsher times, but it's still useful, as all of us can't be trusted.

They say that when infants (and possibly adults as well) smell something (truly) unfamiliar, it'll automatically smell bad, this is just an aspect of the same thing.

I would read your reply but your avatar just f*cked up my vision :pinch:

Snee
06-14-2005, 02:12 PM
:01:

Busyman
06-14-2005, 02:35 PM
I make a prejudment about certain people until they prove me wrong.

Usually they don't. However, I treat everyone the same.

I could never say anything bad about certain upstanding folk.

HCT
06-14-2005, 02:55 PM
im a big victim of prejudice, while im in school i hate when people call me mexican just cause im hispanic or when they ask you if you speak mexican, man it irritates me when they do that. personally im not prejudice, back in my country my best friend is black and he is like a brother to me

GepperRankins
06-14-2005, 03:14 PM
well, do you speak mexican?

JPaul
06-14-2005, 03:54 PM
:

Trite and predictable. You may use the argument that it has helped to keep sectarianism alive, but to say that it created bigotry is nonsense.

There are denominational schools in loads of places, are they all like the West of Scotland, not that I am aware of.

What about things like the Orange Order, who march thro' Glasgow to revel in their anti-catholicism, are they better than seperate schools, do they foster bigotry less. I think not.

If someone proposed to do a similar thing with anti-practically anything else sentiment then it would be banned.

Darth Sushi
06-14-2005, 04:06 PM
I freaking hate n00bs!

GepperRankins
06-14-2005, 04:08 PM
:

Trite and predictable. You may use the argument that it has helped to keep sectarianism alive, but to say that it created bigotry is nonsense.

There are denominational schools in loads of places, are they all like the West of Scotland, not that I am aware of.

What about things like the Orange Order, who march thro' Glasgow to revel in their anti-catholicism, are they better than seperate schools, do they foster bigotry less. I think not.

If someone proposed to do a similar thing with anti-practically anything else sentiment then it would be banned.
like snny said, xenophobia is natural.

the only way to overcome it is to learn. sectarianism leads to bigotry, even though bigotry can survive without sectarianism.

JPaul
06-14-2005, 04:30 PM
But what SnnY described is not xenophobia.

Lilmiss
06-14-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't hate anyone until they give me good reason to.

I have to be quite open minded as I deal with allsorts of people, and if I were to prejudge them, I would just be setting myself up for big shocks. One of my assistants is a wh/ch bound homophobe, and the other a manly lesbian with a heart of gold. Which makes work, erm, intresting. :unsure:

I've met herion users and alcholics who help others with simple things like changing lightbulbs and picking up shopping, and on the other side of the scale, freeloading pensioners with violent tendencies and venomous tongues. There are few people I truely hate, but I get annoyed with peeps who only look out for themselves, expecting someone to bail them out of whatever debts and problems they have got into. Always thinking society owes them a favour, and never putting in effort to help those less fortunate.

I'm not saying I'm an angel, far from it. But today I have scratched my arms to bits volunteering in a garden, and also made time to listen to a lady crying over her late husbands love letters she found, while still getting managing to get my work done. It just takes a lil bit of patience to make someone else feel better about life, simple things we all take for granted are sometimes the hardest problems for others to solve alone. It's all about teh love. :wub:

Anyone with manners instantly gains my respect, no matter what age, colour, race or religion they may happen to be. Life is too short to make silly judgements based on your own ideals.

Mr. Mulder
06-14-2005, 05:06 PM
I think I'd know if i was bigfoot, what a stupid thread :dry:

Snee
06-14-2005, 05:22 PM
In direct translation from greek, xenophobia means fear of the alien/foreign/different or something like it, it's commonly used to describe a negative (emotional) reaction (spawned from fear) to those who are strange to you, I think :unsure:

EDit: @everybody: The subject at hand, and what I described are the results of the same mechanisms that cause xenophobia. I think zero's original question had more to do with an emotional response than any action caused by it. So I don't think he's a bigot, and that he doesn't have anything to worry about.

JPaul
06-14-2005, 05:38 PM
In direct translation from greek, xenophobia means fear of the alien/foreign/different or something like it, it's commonly used to describe a negative (emotional) reaction (spawned from fear) to those who are strange to you, I think :unsure:

Xenophobia is, as I understand it, when it is taken beyond that which is a rational fear of the strange.

It is the undue fear of the alien/foreign as opposed to your description of the natural fear of the unknown.

I think you are right about the fear itself, but that xenophobia is the wrong word to use. A phobia is by it's nature excessive or irrational.

(>Zero Cool<)
06-14-2005, 06:09 PM

It would be a nightmare shopping for shoes for a start :rolleyes:

edit: @snny, to be honest i'm not sure anymore what i meant :rolleyes: :blink: I guess the point that was made when I had the conversation was that although you may think of yourelf as not being any of the various ist's or ism's mentioned above if you are really honest with yourself there are situations that you pre-judge (sp or manker as I will now refer to it) people when you learn a certain piece of info about them e.g. race, colour, religious belief, nationality etc etc

bigboab
06-14-2005, 06:13 PM
:

Is sectarianism not bigotry. Separating childen from their friends at five to send them to a separate religious school while living in the same area is bigotry. You are setting your(I dont mean you:)) child apart from the mainstream of children growing up in their area. As for the Orange Order and any other sectarian bigoted bunch you care to mention. One of the qualifications to become a member of these orders should be intelligence tests. That would close them down overnight. Why are the good people of Northern Ireland on a course of getting rid of separate schools if they did not think it caused problems?

As for being trite and predictable anybody in this forum who has a point of view opposed to yours gets the same treatment. There is no one more trite and predictable than your good self. If you dont believe me go back and read some of your own posts.

Snee
06-14-2005, 06:21 PM

Xenophobia is, as I understand it, when it is taken beyond that which is a rational fear of the strange.

It is the undue fear of the alien/foreign as opposed to your description of the natural fear of the unknown.

I think you are right about the fear itself, but that xenophobia is the wrong word to use. A phobia is by it's nature excessive or irrational.
Ah ok, I understand where you are coming from then.

I can't really find any clarity as to whether one interpretation should be ruled out as I can find both on the interweb (can't be arsed to look it up in print atm), but yours does seem more widely used :unsure:

I do think the original meaning simply was fear of the unknown :unsure:

JPaul
06-14-2005, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=JPaul]

As for being trite and predictable anybody in this forum who has a point of view opposed to yours gets the same treatment. There is no one more trite and predictable than your good self. If you dont believe me go back and read some of your own posts.
That was even more predictable than your original one. Does anyone think you were not going to post that.

You said that denominational schools were the source of bigotry in this area. Which it clearly was not.

bigboab
06-14-2005, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=bigboab]
That was even more predictable than your original one. Does anyone think you were not going to post that.

You said that denominational schools were the source of bigotry in this area. Which it clearly was not.

Then can you explain to me as part of the 'Abolish Bigotry' campaign by the Scottish Executive why they propose to abolish separate schools. While you are at it, explain to members what the main stumbling block to this is.

(>Zero Cool<)
06-14-2005, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=bigboab]

It's like watching two eight year olds when you pair start, what's next pig tail pulling? :huh:

JPaul
06-14-2005, 07:40 PM
You said

"I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions"

That suggests that all bigotry comes from separate schools. No in fact it doesn't suggest it, it states it. Unless you have a different meaning for ".... has been created by ...."

How do separate schools engender homophobia, racism, ageism, sexism.

I agreed that it may be argued that it helps prolong sectarianism. In my opinion there are other things which do not only that, but fight against attempts to abolish it.

However they did not create bigotry, which is what you said.

bigboab
06-14-2005, 08:09 PM
You said

"I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions"

That suggests that all bigotry comes from separate schools. No in fact it doesn't suggest it, it states it. Unless you have a different meaning for ".... has been created by ...."

How do separate schools engender homophobia, racism, ageism, sexism.

I agreed that it may be argued that it helps prolong sectarianism. In my opinion there are other things which do not only that, but fight against attempts to abolish it.

However they did not create bigotry, which is what you said.

If it helps I will change that to 'Does not help the cause of abolishing bigotry':)

If other schools were created for the above subjects they would make the problem worse.

As you are not answering the 'stumbling block' question, I will. The Catholic Hierarchy in Scotland agreed to 'joint' schools provided that Catholic pupils entered these schools by separate doors. If that is not bigotry then I am lost for words.

JPaul
06-14-2005, 08:21 PM
What do you mean "If it helps I will change that to 'Does not help the cause of abolishing bigotry'"

That is an entirely different proposition from your original one. So no, it doesn't help, it actually confuses matters.

Are you still saying "I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions" or are you retracting that statement.

Busyman
06-14-2005, 08:26 PM
I love when folks are backed into corners. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JPaul
06-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I love when folks are backed into corners. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The urge to type "ooer missus" is overwhelming.

bigboab
06-14-2005, 08:42 PM
What do you mean "If it helps I will change that to 'Does not help the cause of abolishing bigotry'"

That is an entirely different proposition from your original one. So no, it doesn't help, it actually confuses matters.

Are you still saying "I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions" or are you retracting that statement.

No I am not retracting that statement. I said if it helps. Children are allowed to play together until they are five. They are then separated to different schools because of paticular religion. That sets them 'apart'. Creating bigotry.
You can be pedantic in statements or anything you want. Separate schools creates bigotry. End of story.

@ Busyman, unless you know the local situation and all its implications ,dont comment.:angry:

bigboab
06-14-2005, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=JPaul]

It's like watching two eight year olds when you pair start, what's next pig tail pulling? :huh:

:lol::lol:

Snee
06-14-2005, 09:00 PM
@snny, to be honest i'm not sure anymore what i meant :rolleyes: :blink: I guess the point that was made when I had the conversation was that although you may think of yourelf as not being any of the various ist's or ism's mentioned above if you are really honest with yourself there are situations that you pre-judge (sp or manker as I will now refer to it) people when you learn a certain piece of info about them e.g. race, colour, religious belief, nationality etc etc
Like I said, I don't think "pre-judging" someone makes you part of any -ism on its own.

JPaul
06-14-2005, 09:02 PM

No I am not retracting that statement.
Then your position is idiotic, "I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions" is patently nonsensical.

That would mean that prior to "schools for different religions" bigotry did not exist. How can you possibly make this contention.

bigboab
06-14-2005, 09:13 PM
No I am not retracting that statement.
Then your position is idiotic, "I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions" is patently nonsensical.

That would mean that prior to "schools for different religions" bigotry did not exist. How can you possibly make this contention.

That was not the intention of my statement and you know it. If I had said 'fosters' you would still have harangued. Once you get on your pious high horse there is no stopping you. I will post no further on the subject(my pigtails are sore:lol:). So right or wrong you can have your usual 'last word'.

(>Zero Cool<)
06-14-2005, 09:33 PM
@snny, to be honest i'm not sure anymore what i meant :rolleyes: :blink: I guess the point that was made when I had the conversation was that although you may think of yourelf as not being any of the various ist's or ism's mentioned above if you are really honest with yourself there are situations that you pre-judge (sp or manker as I will now refer to it) people when you learn a certain piece of info about them e.g. race, colour, religious belief, nationality etc etc
Like I said, I don't think "pre-judging" someone makes you part of any -ism on its own.

perhaps not, i guess i will need some more advert time to ponder this

jp.....you can get as annoyed as you like, it is unusual to class something as a 'debate' in which you can call your so called opponent an 'arsehole', perhaps i have picked bob up wrong but you cannot deny that seperate schools inflames any potential problem - which is generally what i think he is stating. I also agree with you that it is far from being the root cause but it certainly does not help matters.

Snee
06-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Let's all go argue about this in one of vid's topics instead, that's what they are there for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/snorlax/WHYCANT.jpg

STFU, minions.

GepperRankins
06-14-2005, 10:14 PM
sectarianism causes bigotry. trying to deny it is just ignorant IMO

JPaul
06-14-2005, 10:25 PM
sectarianism causes bigotry. trying to deny it is just ignorant IMO
I agree.

Rat Faced
06-14-2005, 10:27 PM
I hate everyone equally... am I bigoted? :unsure:

(>Zero Cool<)
06-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Who teh fuck are you?

nicely put :dry:

do you polish your spoon often? :rolleyes:

peat moss
06-14-2005, 11:30 PM
I may have been earlier in life , but not now. Most of my white sons friends are multi coloured. They don't seem to ask about why is he black or brown. It starts with the parents being tolerant ,mabye ? And showing by example I think.

JPaul
06-15-2005, 06:49 AM
It starts with the parents being tolerant ,mabye ? And showing by example I think.
I agree. You, Sir have hit the nail squarely on the head.

As with most things the single biggest influence is the parental one. It starts from birth and for most people it is daily and unrelenting. Whether the parents know it or not.

manker
06-15-2005, 09:45 AM
it is unusual to class something as a 'debate' in which you can call your so called opponent an 'arsehole'Don't be ridiculous, anyone that disagrees with me in a debate deserves to be called an arsehole, arsehole.

Btw, my picking you up on the definition of bigot at the start of the thread wasn't pendantry in the least. I saw what you posted and from knowing you a bit better than just words on a screen was a little perturbed by you setting yourself up as bigoted when I was pretty sure it wasn't the case.

We're all a bit prejudiced now and again (the good lawd only knows how many times I scream 'fecking women drivers' at the traffic on my way to work each day). Being a bigot is something entirely different and is particularly loathsome - I made the distinction in a benevolent way :)

(>Zero Cool<)
06-15-2005, 01:18 PM
it is unusual to class something as a 'debate' in which you can call your so called opponent an 'arsehole'Don't be ridiculous, anyone that disagrees with me in a debate deserves to be called an arsehole, arsehole.

Btw, my picking you up on the definition of bigot at the start of the thread wasn't pendantry in the least. I saw what you posted and from knowing you a bit better than just words on a screen was a little perturbed by you setting yourself up as bigoted when I was pretty sure it wasn't the case.

We're all a bit prejudiced now and again (the good lawd only knows how many times I scream 'fecking women drivers' at the traffic on my way to work each day). Being a bigot is something entirely different and is particularly loathsome - I made the distinction in a benevolent way :)

:huh: ...ehm ......the comment wasn't aimed at you :unsure: ..think we got our wires crossed somewhere :) ....oh and it's all to do with who you are and the way in which you call someone an asshole :rolleyes:

re picking me up on my definition...you were quite right :rolleyes: , I know what I meant, least I think I did, but it became apparent very soon after creating the thread that i had not explained myself clearly nor had i worded my thoughts particularly well but if I had tried to explain further I reckon I would have just dug a deeper hole so I just left it. :frusty:

(>Zero Cool<)
06-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Don't be ridiculous, anyone that disagrees with me in a debate deserves to be called an arsehole, arsehole.

:huh: ...ehm ......the comment wasn't aimed at you :unsure: ..think we got our wires crossed somewhere :) ....oh and it's all to do with who you are and the way in which you call someone an asshole :rolleyes:

re picking me up on my definition...you were quite right :rolleyes: , I know what I meant, least I think I did, but it became apparent very soon after creating the thread that i had not explained myself clearly nor had i worded my thoughts particularly well but if I had tried to explain further I reckon I would have just dug a deeper hole so I just left it. :frusty:

edit : ps oh yeah and thanks ;) .well not so much for the arsehole comment but for the other bits :dry: :P

JPaul
06-15-2005, 01:29 PM
It is customary to debate points until someone behaves like an arsehole. It is then considered perfectly acceptable to refer to them as such.

I thought everyone knew that.

(>Zero Cool<)
06-15-2005, 01:34 PM
It is customary to debate points until someone behaves like an arsehole. It is then considered perfectly acceptable to refer to them as such.

as you can prolly tell I usually lose any debate as soon as I open my mouth/start typing :rolleyes: so I didn't know what etiquette was for any further stage. :unsure:

JPaul
06-15-2005, 01:43 PM

as you can prolly tell I usually lose any debate as soon as I open my mouth/start typing :rolleyes: so I didn't know what etiquette was for any fur:er stage. :unsure:
:lol: I get round that by never stopping.

manker
06-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Don't be ridiculous, anyone that disagrees with me in a debate deserves to be called an arsehole, arsehole.

:huh: ...ehm ......the comment wasn't aimed at you :unsure: ..think we got our wires crossed somewhere :) ....oh and it's all to do with who you are and the way in which you call someone an asshole :rolleyes: Yeah, I knew it was aimed at JP but I fancied posting some self-indulgent rubbish as an accompaniment to the other :D

(>Zero Cool<)
06-15-2005, 01:53 PM
:huh: ...ehm ......the comment wasn't aimed at you :unsure: ..think we got our wires crossed somewhere :) ....oh and it's all to do with who you are and the way in which you call someone an asshole :rolleyes: Yeah, I knew it was aimed at JP but I fancied posting some self-indulgent rubbish as an accompaniment to the other :D

s'cool I never understand half of what you say/type :blink: but I figure you mean well ;) :P

JPaul
06-15-2005, 02:02 PM

as you can prolly tell I usually lose any debate as soon as I open my mouth/start typing :rolleyes: so I didn't know what etiquette was for any fur:er stage. :unsure:
:lol: I get round that by never stopping.

manker
06-15-2005, 02:07 PM
:lol: I get round that by never stopping.No you don't, ar5eh01e.