PDA

View Full Version : 'k, so do we go about fixing africa?

GepperRankins
07-02-2005, 10:00 PM
nobody with any power gives a fuck about live8 or the march in edinburger, so what do we do now? :unsure:

Peerzy
07-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Put the money towards getting Bob Geldof a hair cut :unsure:

Illuminati
07-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Mass revolutions. People march peacefully through the capitals of each of the countries, and when the police come around we charge them and overpower them so we can hold our own leaders up.

I'll get the petrol.

GepperRankins
07-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Mass revolutions. People march peacefully through the capitals of each of the countries, and when the police come around we charge them and overpower them so we can hold our own leaders up.

I'll get the petrol.
yeah that'll work :01:

maybe

or maybe not

Illuminati
07-02-2005, 10:07 PM
If it works, Africa gets more help from us.

If it doesn't, they eliminate a fair chunk of the population. Which means severely cut income from taxes, and they start on a path which puts them in the same position of developing countries.

One way or another, everyone ends up in the same boat ;)

GepperRankins
07-02-2005, 10:10 PM
shouldn't we be trying to get more UN forces to be more active in africa as a priority over cancelling the debt? which i imagine would just mean warlords and the like have more funds for civil war and stuff, and still no aid will reach where it's supposed to :unsure:

{I}{K}{E}
07-02-2005, 10:35 PM
90% of the money they get from 'us' goes to the corrupt people that control the 'poor' country or doesnt even go there. So donating is useless, unless you donate to charities that go to that country them self to help the poor and sick.

I think they should first do something about the corruption and the raping/killing by rebels. because imo thats the biggest problem in Africa. If that doesnt get solved I dont see any future for Africa

All this demonstration stuff doesn't change anything. people are doing that for more then 20 years.

Afronaut
07-02-2005, 10:38 PM
There was some TV stuff (back in the days when I had one) about that amount of cash that really
went to Africa after donations.
And straight to the Warlords or something.

The numbers was quite shocking in Norway then.
About 75% didnt even left the country. lolllerskates,
I guess there was some expenses.

:D

Sure, I'll toss my cash on that well...

GepperRankins
07-02-2005, 10:46 PM
90% of the money what they get from 'us' goes to the corrupt people that control the 'poor' country or doesnt even go there. So donating is useless, unless you donate to charities that go to that country them self to help the poor and sick.

I think they should first do something about the corruption and the raping/killing by rebels. because imo thats the biggest problem in Africa. If that doesnt get solved I dont see any future for Africa

All this demonstration stuff doesn't change anything. people are doing that for more then 20 years.
that's kinda my point. maybe we should start a campain to occupy parts of africa to sort them out :unsure:

Snee
07-02-2005, 11:02 PM
90% of the money what they get from 'us' goes to the corrupt people that control the 'poor' country or doesnt even go there. So donating is useless, unless you donate to charities that go to that country them self to help the poor and sick.

that's kinda my point. maybe we should start a campain to occupy parts of africa to sort them out :unsure:
Maybe Bush could start another war on terror.

Like a sequel really. "War on Terror II: Pwning Africa".

Bin Laden could be hiding there, who knows really?

And also, they may have weapons of ass destruction.

GepperRankins
07-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Maybe Bush could start another war on terror.

Like a sequel really. "War on Terror II: Pwning Africa".

Bin Laden could be hiding there, who knows really?

And also, they may have weapons of ass destruction.
damn you. i was rodding a texan :fist:

but seriously though....

peat moss
07-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I started a thread about the Deep Impact missle, then read about the cost .

The cost of the mission to taxpayers is expected to be at least $267 million, not counting the price of the launch vehicle.

Boy mabye we should clean up our planet first then go star gazing . Did n't they have an idea about a interest free loan to the Africas ? What happened to that ? And whats the total cost of the g8 summit ? What a bunch of hypocrites .

bigboab
07-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Maybe we should colonise Africa again.:)

JPaul
07-02-2005, 11:49 PM
:(

It would be nice if people could put cynicism aside for a wee while and just try to help folk.

I refuse to accept that is not possible.

Illuminati
07-02-2005, 11:57 PM
damn you. i was rodding a texan :fist:

Wouldn't that be fisting one? ;)

I'll get my coat.

Peerzy
07-03-2005, 12:18 AM

It would be nice if people could put cynicism aside for a wee while and just try to help folk.

If both time and space are of infinity quantity, then one day it will happen :unsure:

GepperRankins
07-03-2005, 12:21 AM

seriously. i doubt live8 will do anything. in a week this whole event will be in the past and the politicians know that.

i've been thinking maybe we should all write to our MPs every week or something demanding we fix africa.

if they know they can't sit it out, and the vast majority are in favour of investing in fixing africa and dropping the bill. the nagging will filter it's way to the top and action may be taken as a result of it.

of course if only a few of us were to do this it would just end in a restraining order :unsure:

anyone know how much of our GNP is from 3rd world debt (interest). maybe we could spend our share of that on stamps and postcards :01:

edit: i'm 100% serious about occupation (for want of a better word). the rodding thing was because i expected a texan to call me hypocrit about iraq, so i could counter iron them about the fact that these people really do need their 'government' overthrowing immediately.

MCHeshPants420
07-03-2005, 01:02 AM
seriously. i doubt live8 will do anything. in a week this whole event will be in the past and the politicians know that.

That's kind of what I think will happen. It's a useless gesture, the politicians won't change anything. At least when future aliens discover our remains they'll at least know some of or, perhaps, most of us were human.

GepperRankins
07-03-2005, 01:05 AM
thanks for the support on pwning the royal mail + government :dry:

bigboab
07-03-2005, 01:16 AM
The G8 had already made up their minds what they were going to do. This event had absolutely no influence on them whatsoever. The G8 meeting is only held to ratify what has already been agreed in the background.

The one good thing that came out of it was the way the Scottish police dealt with the so called 'Anarchists'. They rounded them up like a herd of cattle, unmasked them and photographed them individually. A new and welcome tactic against those that spoil public meetings of any kind.:)

Tikibonbon
07-03-2005, 02:46 AM
edit: i'm 100% serious about occupation (for want of a better word). the rodding thing was because i expected a texan to call me hypocrit about iraq, so i could counter iron them about the fact that these people really do need their 'government' overthrowing immediately.[/COLOR]

So what about people from Vermont, Minnesota, or Arizona? Must we do everything for them? :)

Lord knows we already have an invasion on Texas to worry about.

Smith
07-03-2005, 03:45 AM
The thought of this concert to help these people was nice, but its not going to do much unfortunatly :(

We need many more to fund the relief of this country, this is a good start but we need MUCH more.

Lets make a FST concert :01:

Peerzy
07-03-2005, 03:48 AM
The thought of this concert to help these people was nice, but its not going to do much unfortunatly :(

We need many more to fund the relief of this country, this is a good start but we need MUCH more.

Lets make a FST concert :01:

But how can you measure success? If maybe it helps just a tiny bit, would it have been worth it?

GepperRankins
07-03-2005, 04:05 AM
edit: i'm 100% serious about occupation (for want of a better word). the rodding thing was because i expected a texan to call me hypocrit about iraq, so i could counter iron them about the fact that these people really do need their 'government' overthrowing immediately.[/COLOR]

So what about people from Vermont, Minnesota, or Arizona? Must we do everything for them? :)

you mean misinformation fueling the texas aids epidemic or 5000 kids that die needlessly everyday?

Tikibonbon
07-03-2005, 04:30 AM

you mean misinformation fueling the texas aids epidemic or 5000 kids that die needlessly everyday?

See now you are just trying to attack someone else, well it will not work. I was trying to keep a humourous tone, but if you wish to play at the childish, so be it.

Last I checked, the Texas aids rate has not reached epidemic rates. You want to discuss aids, let talk about certain beliefs in Africa, that if you contract aids, you can have sex with a virgin and be cured, which has led to babies being raped.

Every year 10.5 million children under the age of 5 die. Ok, you just brought up 5,000 (which you mention but never give documentation), what about the other 10,495,000 children?

I am sorry, but if almost 2 million children die each year according to you (5000 a day, 365 days), and only about 350,000 births in Texas yearly.....how is it that there is anyone left in Texas at all?

Why don't you quit trying to belittle other lands than your own, it does not make you appear "cool and in the know". In fact it is downright offensive.

Rat Faced
07-03-2005, 11:52 AM
I think he is talking about the 5000 children that die needlessly every day in the world..

ziggyjuarez
07-03-2005, 11:58 AM
The worlds gonna end in like 7 years so who cares :rolleyes:

Mr. Mulder
07-03-2005, 12:40 PM
The worlds gonna end in like 7 years so who cares :rolleyes:

December 22, 2012 to be precise :happy:

GepperRankins
07-03-2005, 02:32 PM

See now you are just trying to attack someone else, well it will not work. I was trying to keep a humourous tone, but if you wish to play at the childish, so be it.

Last I checked, the Texas aids rate has not reached epidemic rates. You want to discuss aids, let talk about certain beliefs in Africa, that if you contract aids, you can have sex with a virgin and be cured, which has led to babies being raped.

Every year 10.5 million children under the age of 5 die. Ok, you just brought up 5,000 (which you mention but never give documentation), what about the other 10,495,000 children?

I am sorry, but if almost 2 million children die each year according to you (5000 a day, 365 days), and only about 350,000 births in Texas yearly.....how is it that there is anyone left in Texas at all?

Why don't you quit trying to belittle other lands than your own, it does not make you appear "cool and in the know". In fact it is downright offensive.
:huh:

i wasn't trying to appear "in the know" to sound cool. i was just saying they need their governments fixing ASAP, as i doubt cancelling the debt will make any difference until a responsible government is in place

Tikibonbon
07-03-2005, 03:53 PM
:huh:

i wasn't trying to appear "in the know" to sound cool. i was just saying they need their governments fixing ASAP, as i doubt cancelling the debt will make any difference until a responsible government is in place

I apologize if i misintepreted what you were saying, but I really do not understand when you say "you mean misinformation fueling the texas aids epidemic". I have tried many different ways of looking at this, but still can not see where this applies to Africa.

I really can not see an African mother telling her child "sorry my son, but a new case of aids in Texas is the cause of you not eating again today".

Gemby!
07-03-2005, 03:56 PM
im gonna buy one of those white bands.

wont save africa but it makes me look good :)

* one day africa will beat the hell out of the world's elite :01: or so i hope ...*

JPaul
07-03-2005, 05:13 PM
This concert / event / campaign was not about raising funds for Africa, it was about raising public awareness, of the scale of the problems. It was about influencing the World leaders, thro' the power of the electorate.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I really hate the position "I'm not supporting this because a lot of the money goes to the wrong place". With that attitude we help no-one. I am willing for some of the money to go to the wrong place in order that some lives are changed / saved. I don't like it but I know I have to accept it.

I also know that decisions are already made. However they were made knowing that this was going to happen and it influenced the decisions, when they were made.

You cannot change the World, but you can change yourself. You can change your attitude towards the Worlds problems.

lynx
07-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Sorry if this offends anyone, but I really hate the position "I'm not supporting this because a lot of the money goes to the wrong place". With that attitude we help no-one. I am willing for some of the money to go to the wrong place in order that some lives are changed / saved. I don't like it but I know I have to accept it.
I hear what you are saying, and by and large agree with it.

However, when diverted aid is used to build up arms which in turn suppress the people and make it unsafe for aid agencies to operate, then something has to be done about the aid going to the wrong place otherwise the rest is a waste of time.

In some situations aid has been provided in the form of food. You may think that it would be difficult to divert that from the intended destination. Not so, all that happens is that it ends up in warehouses and is sold off to the population, or rather the few who can afford it, at inflated prices. The dictators/warlords get even richer than if they had been given cash directly, and the potential opposition have to squander what funds they have simply in order to survive. So providing aid while doing nothing about the corruption is actually making the problem worse in some cases.

JPaul
07-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I hear what you are saying, and by and large agree with it.

However, when diverted aid is used to build up arms which in turn suppress the people and make it unsafe for aid agencies to operate, then something has to be done about the aid going to the wrong place otherwise the rest is a waste of time.

In some situations aid has been provided in the form of food. You may think that it would be difficult to divert that from the intended destination. Not so, all that happens is that it ends up in warehouses and is sold off to the population, or rather the few who can afford it, at inflated prices. The dictators/warlords get even richer than if they had been given cash directly, and the potential opposition have to squander what funds they have simply in order to survive. So providing aid while doing nothing about the corruption is actually making the problem worse in some cases.

I agree, my post was badly worded.

What I meant was, let's not stop the aid because of the corruption. Let's not take the position, it's not worth doing anything at all.

Let's kep the aid going and do something about making sure it gets to the right places. Surely that is part of the responsibility, to not only supply the cash, but to also ensure it gets to the people who need it.

Gemby!
07-03-2005, 07:21 PM
i dont think live 8 caused any great significance in awareness about the state of the world, as i think (prob. wrong) that many know the state that the world is in. apparently 5 billion around the world watched or were there, but im sure the majority of those people didnt go just to be enlightened about what is going on in the world. it was a music concert after all ....

*shuts up*

DarthInsinuate
07-03-2005, 08:27 PM
also BBC skipped out all the specially created messages that were supposed to tell us what the hell it was all about

JPaul
07-03-2005, 10:01 PM
You know what it's about.

Do the click your fingers every three seconds thing and imagine that it's someone you know who dies.

Someone who should still be alive, because they did not actually have to die.

It's about us having so much that we squander it. Whilst large parts of the World's population are hungry all of the time. There's a good one, imagine the most hungry you have ever felt and think of that as being normal. Think of that as being normal for your son, or daughter or sister or brother.

It's about large numbers of the worlds population having diseases which we can cure with cheap, readily available drugs. Who die because we don't give them the drugs.

It's about despair, being born into a world with no food, no medicine and no prospects of it changing.

And we have so much more than we need that we could change it, but we don't.

You know what it's about, if you really have the courage to imagine these things and accept that it goes on, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.