Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
  • Section Navigation

  • Poll

    Why don't you post on FST? (Votes: 97)

    1. Apathy (Topics have been rehashed/beaten to death) (Votes: 24)

    2. No Rewards (I got all the BT sites I want) (Votes: 5)

    3. Iilliteracy (self) (Votes: 6)

    4. Illiteracy (other members) (Votes: 5)

    5. Engrish is not my first language (Votes: 6)

    6. I spend my time on others sites (Facebook/ghey pr0n/teen gossip, etc.) (Votes: 7)

    7. Other members are big scary meanies (Votes: 17)

    8. My mum grounded me (Votes: 13)

    9. Other (Votes: 39)

  • Hacker: The FBI Used Our “Dox” to Arrest Sabu

    A large part of the hacking community was shocked earlier this week to find out that one of the more vocal supporters of the Anonymous movement, Sabu, had been working with the FBI ever since the summer of 2011 when he was arrested.

    Few internauts expected that Sabu, now known as Hector Xavier Montsegur from New York, would rat out so many hackers. However, there were some of them, such as the members of the respectedTeaMp0isoN group who suspected that something was out of place with the LulzSec crew and this Sabucharacter.

    As a result, in June 2011, TeaMp0isoN made public the true identities of the members of the LulzSec gang. At the time no one gave the incident much attention, because there was a lot of doxing going on and due to the large quantity of incorrect information many of the releases were simply ignored.

    While many ignored this release, federal authorities took it very seriously, which ultimately led to the arrest of Sabu and the rest of the story as we know it.

    The FBI and other involved law enforcement agencies would have a hard time admitting to have used the data provided by the hackers, but a former TeaMp0isoN member came forward with details that prove how they were able to identify the LulzSecsand how the government got into the possession of that information.

    Hex00010, one of the hackers actively involved in the doxing of the LulzSec collective, gave us an interview in which he details the detective work they did at the time, along with the interesting story that reveals how federal authorities obtained the documents and considered them to be from a trusted source.

    Softpedia: At the time the details were released you were a member of TeaMp0isoN. What made you and your team doxLulzSec and, implicitly, Sabu?

    Hex00010: During the time of our attacks in question, related to LulzSec, they would be deemed as a Challenge against them. Back then, of course, we would say “we attacked LulzSec in regards to their attack methods used to expose X”.

    In theory they were considered Script Kiddies, using methods defined as very easy to anyone, and that anyone could do. The media attention was out of place.

    Softpedia: So, they were getting undeserved attention and you decided to unveil their identities?

    Hex00010: Well, it was pretty much, more or less, of a command given to me from Trick - When he told us that we will be focusing on LulzSec for a long time.

    Softpedia: How did you manage to find their identities? Did they simply fail at covering their tracks or was there something else?

    Hex00010: Well it's funny that you ask because how we were able to identify Sabu was just a matter of Luck.

    We found this email address xavier@intifadah.org with this IP 69.204.230.124. The email helped us identify Sabu. Funny thing is, when we were doing research, we checked Myspace, which brought us to this link myspace.com/intifadah. Then it was SUDDENLY deleted.

    During the finding of that Myspace account, on the friends list to this Myspace, he had someone named “Brian Monsegur”. Notice that last name? Yes, it’s the last name from one of his “Fake dox”. Brian went to a school in New York, this school being: East Side Community High School.

    We Googled East Side Community High School for Xavier and found this link which contained:

    Name: Xavier Leon
    Class of: 2001


    Then we searched it on Pipl linking to the state NY, which then linked me to the following information: Xavier N Leon, Elmhurst, NY. Possible Relations: Javier Leon, Nelson Leon.

    Then we checked the distance from Elmhurst to the school he studied at: 420 East 12th Street, New York, NY 10009. It's a 17 minute drive from Elmhurst or a 22 minute walk, which seems like a reasonable amount of time for daily travel to school and back.

    Here’s a screenshot we’ve made at the time.

    Note the ethnicity and language. Xavier N Leon, 5537 84th St, Elmhurst, NY 11373.

    From this information it stated that Xavier's ethnicity was Latino/Hispanic and that he speaks English & Spanish which further links this information to the Myspace account, linking to his email address as it stated the following on his Myspace:

    Status: Single
    Hometown: New York City
    Orientation: Straight
    Body type: 6' 2" / Body builder
    Ethnicity: Latino / Hispanic
    Religion: Agnostic
    Zodiac Sign: Libra
    Children: Undecided
    Smoke: No
    Education: Some college
    Occupation: System / Security Administrator
    Income: $75,000 to $100,000


    Softpedia: So what did you do with all this information?

    Hex00010: I contacted Fox News and gave them all of this information. The Fox News rep that I was speaking with, Jeremy Kaplan, contacted the local authorities, which was in their case New York, the head place where they are doing the investigation in LulzSec.

    They took our information and matched it against their database in New York. We were off Hector’s character name by 1. A couple days later they were able to identify the leader of Sabu connected to our dox.

    In an email he sent to me, Kaplan told me he was going to pay Sabu a visit. If you remember during the articles on Sabu when he was arrested, Fox News noted they had one of their staff meet up with Sabu.

    Moments later, the USA Government apparently had a meeting with Fox News. They took all of our data.

    Jeremy tells me that we can’t talk anymore for a while, and that they are doing something big. He said he can’t talk about it and that I didn’t hear this from him. He said, “Hex00010, you need to stay low.”

    I asked him “why?” He said the USA Government is doing something major very very soon and it’s going to be very big. He couldn’t tell me anything much. I tried to get as much as I could off him.

    Days later, the USA Government arrested 14 international Anon's.

    Initially I sent an email to Kaplan with a link to all the information I had on LulzSec, but soon after his meeting with the authorities took place, the link was removed. Funny eh?

    Softpedia: During this time, did you have any suspicion that Sabu was arrested after you released the details on him?

    Hex00010: Very much so. Remember the time when Sabu left and no one knew where he was? I told my friends he was probably arrested.

    But then again, when I confronted Fox News with it, they were fishy to answer, but they denied to reply.

    Softpedia: How many hackers do you think Sabu ratted out since his arrest?

    Hex00010: God knows. A lot of people put their trust into Sabu and that was their downfall. All I can say is I hope those people that contacted him during that timeframe know how to back themselves up

    Softpedia: Why are you coming forward with this information now?

    Hex00010: Due to the fact that FoxNews lied to me and right now would be the best bet.

    Sabu got arrested. Media hype is going crazy. I throw my two cents in that this changes everyone’s mindset now and brings into new questions and theories.

    I would also like to add that the ones participating in the doxing were TriCk, aka say what, Luit, Mr ^ E, Hex00010, Phantomand F0rsaken.

    Note. The hacker provided us with the emails to prove that the conversations with a Fox representative did take place, but their content was not published due to privacy reasons.
    Comments 6 Comments
    1. IdolEyes787's Avatar
      IdolEyes787 -
      I care even less about these people than I do about those other irritating fame whores The Kardashians ,which is very little indeed.

      My suggestion to the authorities is when you have rounded up what you consider to be enough of them strand the lot on a island with no modern enmities and let them kill each other in true Lord of the Flies style.
      Btw I have no real idea what "doxing" is unless it is some new ,trending combination of dating and boxing.

      PS Seriously do these people have no clue to as how silly they sound?
    1. mjmacky's Avatar
      mjmacky -
      Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
      Btw I have no real idea what "doxing" is unless it is some new ,trending combination of dating and boxing.
      Two people dancing around a restricted space putting their arms all over each other, no that's still just boxing.
    1. thrasher88's Avatar
      thrasher88 -
      IdolEyes787... many of the members of these groups may seem immature to you, but they're also attempting to protect the rights and freedoms you and I enjoy. Do you even listen to their messages or do you just think that because your mainstream media says they're bad that they're automatically bad... They take big strides against PIPA, SOPA, and many of the war crimes committed by OUR leaders so stfu somewhat... Whether you agree with them or not they actually have a purpose and goals so don't compare them to the Kardashians. Since their only goal is to become popular and wealthy and get paid to do so because they help divert people's attention away from serious matters like our foreign policy, monetary policy, fiscal policy and our illusion of democracy. To hide a 2-3 party system who's overall objectives are the same but appear to have differences because they fight over REDUNDANT topics like free birth control and pro-life/pro-choice.
    1. IdolEyes787's Avatar
      IdolEyes787 -
      Quote Originally Posted by thrasher88 View Post
      IdolEyes787... many of the members of these groups may seem immature to you, but they're also attempting to protect the rights and freedoms you and I enjoy. Do you even listen to their messages or do you just think that because your mainstream media says they're bad that they're automatically bad... They take big strides against PIPA, SOPA, and many of the war crimes committed by OUR leaders so stfu somewhat... Whether you agree with them or not they actually have a purpose and goals so don't compare them to the Kardashians. Since their only goal is to become popular and wealthy and get paid to do so because they help divert people's attention away from serious matters like our foreign policy, monetary policy, fiscal policy and our illusion of democracy. To hide a 2-3 party system who's overall objectives are the same but appear to have differences because they fight over REDUNDANT topics like free birth control and pro-life/pro-choice.
      What did P.T. Barnum say?

      Btw no offense but the very people that these "groups" apparently struggle against spout the same sort of self -serving rhetoric to sway the dim-witted.
      Minus the lutz and other similarly mature stuff of course.

      Also you used SOPA and war crimes in the same sentence like they are even remotely equivalent .Listen I know all you truly care about is being able to get your x-box games for free so please don't insult my intelligence by feigning otherwise.

      Stfu? Compelling argument you got there.Maybe if I piss you off badly enough you will hack my account in a similarly mature fit of moral retribution.
    1. Quarterquack's Avatar
      Quarterquack -
      Quote Originally Posted by thrasher88 View Post
      ...
      Believing that either LulzSec or AntiSec did anything worthwhile is idiotic. Want to know what actually works? Public exposure. SOPA and PIPA weren't stopped by some pathetic MySQL injections. They were stopped by a very successful mass awareness campaign spear headed by a few members of the public. Now we can argue about the philosophical implications of going against the few in charge, at the command of a few people in charge, but it's not like your supported stance has a better alternative.

      You know how to actually protect the rights of people? Get them interested in their rights. Cut out all the legalese, and they'll be willing to read 3-4 paragraphs about new legal movements. DDoS'ing, DoXing, Injecting, and other forms of underhanded behaviourisms are illegal actions, aimed to bring about a legal change? I wonder what bill will be passed in response to a group like LulzSec's actions, from the government's perspective. A bill that frees the internet so even bigger idiots can use public tools for wreaking havoc, or a bill that restricts them even further so LulzSec has no control at all in the end.

      Also, the usual stigma of most public-eye "hackers" being elitist little attention seekers fits here well. The FBI identified Sabu because he was an insecure moron who logged on to public IRCd's through his home IP. Not because some badass anti-thematic individual found him hiding behind a Myspace page (without a single piece of accurate information, by the way).
    1. bobbintb's Avatar
      bobbintb -
      doxing is basically open source intel, from what i understand. the military has people that do the same thing. and if i were doxing this guy i would note that he is most likely not from the US based on two details:
      1. he keeps saying USA government. an american wouldnt say that. they would either say the US government or the government.
      2. he is surprised fox news lied.

      Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by thrasher88 View Post
      ...
      Believing that either LulzSec or AntiSec did anything worthwhile is idiotic. Want to know what actually works? Public exposure. SOPA and PIPA weren't stopped by some pathetic MySQL injections. They were stopped by a very successful mass awareness campaign spear headed by a few members of the public. Now we can argue about the philosophical implications of going against the few in charge, at the command of a few people in charge, but it's not like your supported stance has a better alternative.

      You know how to actually protect the rights of people? Get them interested in their rights. Cut out all the legalese, and they'll be willing to read 3-4 paragraphs about new legal movements. DDoS'ing, DoXing, Injecting, and other forms of underhanded behaviourisms are illegal actions, aimed to bring about a legal change? I wonder what bill will be passed in response to a group like LulzSec's actions, from the government's perspective. A bill that frees the internet so even bigger idiots can use public tools for wreaking havoc, or a bill that restricts them even further so LulzSec has no control at all in the end.

      Also, the usual stigma of most public-eye "hackers" being elitist little attention seekers fits here well. The FBI identified Sabu because he was an insecure moron who logged on to public IRCd's through his home IP. Not because some badass anti-thematic individual found him hiding behind a Myspace page (without a single piece of accurate information, by the way).
      i agree with most of what you say but just wanted to point out a few things. first off using illegal tactics to provoke legal change is not so foolish as you make it out to be. a lot of it has to do with context. the problem here is they dont really have a cause and they are really just childish pranksters. however i do believe that these same tactics, used properly, could be effective in the right circumstances. not that that is right or these are the right circumstances. it reminds me a little of the boston tea party. im sure people would have talked about these underhanded behaviourisms being illegal actions, aimed to bring about a legal change. not that these idiots are anything like that but my point is this: historically, doing something illegal to bring about a legal change has proven to be a valid method.

      my second point is about the single piece of accurate information statement. from an intelligence collection standpoint, information does not need to be entirely accurate all the time for it to be usable or actionable. for a conviction, im not a lawyer, but yea, probably. but an intelligence collector is not going to throw good intel because the validity of it isnt certain. if, based on the available evidence, ive got a pretty good idea the guy im looking for is at a certain address, im not going to throw that information away because i cant be positive. im going to see if he is there and roll him up. that is where the bulk of the accurate information you are talking about comes from, not the research leading up to the arrest, but the collection done after the arrest.