Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Materazzi breaks Zidane silence

DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Materazzi breaks Zidane silence

Marco Materazzi has finally explained what he said to Zinedine Zidane before he was headbutted by the Frenchman during Italy's World Cup final victory.

Zidane was sent off for the attack and later claimed he was provoked after Materazzi had insulted his mother.

But Materazzi told Gazzetta dello Sport that Zidane's sister was the subject.

He said: "I was tugging his shirt, he said to me 'if you want my shirt so much I'll give it to you afterwards,' I answered that I'd prefer his sister."

Materazzi added: "It's not a particularly nice thing to say, I recognise that. But loads of players say worse things.

"I didn't even know he had a sister before all this happened."

Materazzi was later handed a two-match ban from world governing body Fifa, while Zidane was banned for three games and fined £3,260.

Zidane, who has since retired from football, has never specified what Materazzi said to him and has refused to apologise to his opponent.

Asked on 12 July exactly Materazzi had said, Zidane would only offer that it was "very personal" and concerned his mother and his sister.

"You hear those things once and you try to walk away," added Zidane. "That's what I wanted to do because I am retiring. You hear it a second time and then a third time..."
    Sauce http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/5315618.stm

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    Materazzi is bad player

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    2 things:

1. That's dumb as shit that FIFA would ban Materazzi for saying "something" that made Zidane head-butt him. They banned him on Zidane's say so, wtf?

2. Zidane is a complete idiot to put a nail in a loss cos someone said something to him. If it's true that's all it was, he's even more of an idiot than I previously thought.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

2. Zidane is a complete idiot to put a nail in a loss cos someone said something to him.
    1 thing:

Wtf does that mean?

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

2. Zidane is a complete idiot to put a nail in a loss cos someone said something to him.
    1 thing:

Wtf does that mean?
    Getting thrown out the game basically secured their loss.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Did you mean say final nail in the coffin though? Its just I have never heard that phrase before.

Admittedly it was a stupid thing to do but as he said at the time he was enraged cos it was his family getting abused.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Did you mean say final nail in the coffin though? Its just I have never heard that phrase before.

Admittedly it was a stupid thing to do but as he said at the time he was enraged cos it was his family getting abused.
    Yeah I left out coffin. France could have still won.

Hell if all has to do is talk about a person's family to get that person thrown out then hell that might top taking the doive.

I must give it up to England though for not doiving in the tourney.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    He was prolly frustrated they were losing and it was his final game. Red mist and all that.

Who knows what goes on in the heads of the crazy francais.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    He was prolly frustrated they were losing and it was his final game. Red mist and all that.

Who knows what goes on in the heads of the crazy francais.
    He's gotta think like the NBA where you can always come back and win.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    It was 1-1 when Zidane got sent off and there were only a few minutes left so it would still have gone to penalties.

Trezeguet would still have taken his penaly so Italy would still have won.

Zidane's sending off had little bearing on the outcome of the game.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast