Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comcast and Giganews

Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    so as many people may know if you have comcast you can get 2 gigs from giganews a month. my problem is I don't know where to start! the comcast page says somthing about configuring outlook to use gignews. but I have no idea how this works. Im new to newsgroups but not torrenting. can anyone point me into the right direction. what software do I need to download? can I use outlook to download? do I use the same username and password on giganews as comcast.net

Thanks for all the help in Advance.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    so what is a newsgroup Search engine?
    can I just use gignews instead of a newsgroup engine (is giganews the search engine?). not sure where that comes in.

Thanks

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    www.binsearch.info and www.newzleech.com is basically usenet search engines. Giganews and Usenetserver are usenet providers, just like an ISP.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    so do I need to use both or just one and what are their purpose. sorry for the dumb question but I'm a new to newsgroups.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gish View Post
    so do I need to use both or just one and what are their purpose. sorry for the dumb question but I'm a new to newsgroups.
    You definately need the news server (GigaNews) because that is what you will download from. A search engine (binsearch/newzleech etc) is optional but makes downloading from usenet alot easier. The search engines let you search and then download a little nzb file that you can open with your news reader (grabit, newsleecher, alt.binz, newsbin etc) and it will start downloading

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    so I got newsleecher and filled out the the news server info. now how do I connect to giganews? should I press a button or go to the site.

Thanks again

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gish View Post
    so I got newsleecher and filled out the the news server info. now how do I connect to giganews? should I press a button or go to the site.

Thanks again

Click the Connect button and add some groups and download the headers (list of whats in the group) or go to a search engine like binsearch or newzleech and download an nzb, then open it with newsleecher and newsleecher will start downloading

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    thanks for all the help so far but when I try to connect with news leecher it gives me error: wrong username/pass. I have checked with comcast and yes infact I do have the right info. so is it giganews telling I have the wrong username and pass or comcast?

Thanks

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    The pitifull 2GB that comcrud 'gives' you is, though, not going to make if very far (not even one DVD5, maybe a couple of XVID's or something).. You need to choose a provider (I use Giganews but the are $$ compared to others out there), and you may wish to go with an encrypted link as Comcrud actively monitors all their internet traffic, in particular anything transmitted (that you send), and, read your cumstomer agreement, they reserve the right to shut you off whenever 'they feel' like it, if your 'activity' gets to be 'too much'.

They seem to come and go on this, whenever they are 'pushing' digital Video-on-demand (uses the same bitstreams in the system/plant) they seem to want to 'crack down' on the internet users. But, you never know when, since the customer agreements are worded so loosely.

BUT, that just your transmission/reception path, you definetely need a good usenet server as your 'quota' will be used up fast. As far as setting up newsleecher, those who use it should give a leg up on exactly where the settings should be and hopfully get you going.
    Last edited by Beck38; 04-15-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast