Thread: Mozilla releases Firefox 3.0 Beta 3, adds several features

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "The Mozilla organization on Tuesday posted Beta 3 of Firefox 3.0, for Windows, Macintosh, and Linux platforms. The beta's release notes are indicating substantial progress on new and so far unseen features."

"BetaNews has yet to make extensive tests of Beta 3, though a check of the release notes indicates that this may be the build where a number of critical and long-awaited new features actually get tested for the first time.

For example, an improved download manager that indicates relative progress in the status bar (a feature made popular by the third-party Download Statusbar add-on), tagging of downloaded files so that users can see the URL of their source, support for the parental controls feature in Windows Vista that currently applies to Internet Explorer, and automatic checks of downloads for viruses using the scanner of the user's choice.

Perhaps this writer's favorite new feature will be the option of asking the user to save the contents of tabs on exit. Currently Firefox remembers the contents of tabs in case it crashes and needs to be reloaded (which frankly, for 2.x, happened often enough for that feature to come in very handy). But on a normal program exit, after being asked whether you mean to close the tabs, Firefox cleans the cache...which almost makes a rude exit through Task Manager more preferable to the File menu.

Also making progress is Firefox's support for JavaScript 1.8, which adds support for features made popular in scripting languages like Python: for instance, inline embedded functions (defining a variable as a function), and the intriguing comparison operator contains that iterates through entries in an array.

Mac OS X users may also note that Firefox 3 should try a little harder to look like a Macintosh application. There was a time when apps were graded on their ability to integrate with the Mac interface.

Firefox 3.0 Beta 3 is available for download for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux from FileForum. Try it out and tell us what you think below."

Source: BetaNews
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 02-13-2008 at 06:09 PM.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Mac OS X users may also note that Firefox 3 should try a little harder to look like a Macintosh application. There was a time when apps were graded on their ability to integrate with the Mac interface.
    Bullshit.
    Apple doesn't try at all to make their apps integrate with windows' interface, why should apps made by other companies for other OSes be graded by their ability to copy mac.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I know rite. I miss the MultiPlugin mod for a skinable iTunes.

And really...if some guy/gal on the internet can do it, shirley Apple can.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Aaxel21's Avatar AHHHHH!
    I just downloaded it here and i'm trying it out. Looks cool.

Download it here.
    Firefox 3 Beta
    Remember bullets always have the right of way.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaxel21 View Post
    I just downloaded it here and i'm trying it out. Looks cool.

Download it here.
    Firefox 3 Beta
    will installition overwrite the current FF folder(profile, setting, etc)?

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I'll wait until it's either in the RTM stage or Final release. Looks real promising though.

Bawa if your worried about profiles, theme, etc download this proggy before you try out the FF 3 beta program. Mozbackup, links are provided below.

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php

http://www.download3k.com/Install-MozBackup.html

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    I did not even realized is ver 3.0 beta3. will want to try it out.
    Last edited by TP635; 02-20-2008 at 11:06 AM.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Is slow as hell in forums :/