Thread: Did my hard drive die? Clueless

Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Well recently my computer started screwing up, with video issues as well as a lot of hanging when trying to load a program, hard to explain exactly what happens. So i just decided its time to reformat, maybe i got a virus or something. But now it wont even start up windows, it just restarts after WIndows XP screen fully loads.

I took 2 pictures with my camera on what shows up on my screen.

I can't even read what its saying but i'm pretty sure its asking me "Do i want to start in Safe mode, or normal mode, etc. When i choose safe mode windows successfully makes it to the desktop but with the video issues still visible but when i choose normal mode, it just restarts as soon as i hit enter.

(as you can see there's a video issue which i don't understand why.

Any ideas? This just spontaneously happened when i woke up 1 day.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Artifacting= Bad video card.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    That's the problem? No other possibilities? Don't want to buy the wrong part.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Borrow a cheap card if you can, if you get the same problems at startup it isn't the graphics card, if you don't get the problems then it probably is the graphics card.

However, I've seen similar problems with faulty memory, where the graphics card shared system memory.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Artifacting= Bad video card.
    100% agreed.
    I've seen it lots of time before.

Get yourself a new video card. If your running off onboard video as suggested above, the solution is the same.

*EDIT*
    I've also seen where the video card some how came unseated and caused this.
    Might want to take it out of the slot, and try reseating it before getting a new one.
    Last edited by Broken; 01-20-2008 at 02:28 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    burtz's Avatar †Guitar POWER useR† BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    video card. i've experienced that issue back when i was still using FX5700. but i'd suggest doing what lynx suggested just to be sure.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    That is problem with video card.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Borrow a cheap card if you can, if you get the same problems at startup it isn't the graphics card, if you don't get the problems then it probably is the graphics card.

However, I've seen similar problems with faulty memory, where the graphics card shared system memory.
    Hell, for that matter the cable could have been jostled and just needs reinsertion.

Still think the card is dying though.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post

Thanks Everyone , Just tried replacing my 6600GT with GeForce 4, and its definitely the video card. Its a shame, i'd think after 4 years my hard drive would die first.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Did you overclocked it? Did you check the cooling? Maybe it died and so your 6600 is overheating...