Thread: VMware ESXi (Free) anyone?

MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Anyone else tried this?

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/log...?eval=esxi&t=1

A friend of mine called me yesterday and told me that it was possible to get a free license on ESXi and I tried it out.

You get a license by registering on their site.

I found out I'm going to use it on one of my 2 servers so I can test out other operating systems without taking down my server.

I installed it on my gaming PC because of the quad core processor. The installation is faster and easier than installing a regular OS.
    It found all my SATA HDDs (no more need for expensive controller cards or servers like in previous versions!). It's a regular MSI MB with Nvidia chipset.

Next mission is to replace one of my 2 servers with a quad core, 8GB RAM and a bunch of HDDs.

Let me now how things work out if you guys are going to test it.
    Last edited by MultiForce; 08-05-2008 at 09:22 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    Anyone else tried this?

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/log...?eval=esxi&t=1

A friend of mine called me yesterday and told me that it was possible to get a free license on ESXi and I tried it out.

You get a license by registering on their site.

I found out I'm going to use it on one of my 2 servers so I can test out other operating systems without taking down my server.

I installed it on my gaming PC because of the quad core processor. The installation is faster and easier than installing a regular OS.
    It found all my SATA HDDs (no more need for expensive controller cards or servers like in previous versions!). It's a regular MSI MB with Nvidia chipset.

Next mission is to replace one of my 2 servers with a quad core, 8GB RAM and a bunch of HDDs.

Let me now how things work out if you guys are going to test it.
    yep, I am using VMware ESx and Workstations on my network to do R&D. It worx gr8

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i'm using VMWare workstation to do development and testing.. but its only a 30 day trial... so I have to uninstall and re-install the license to extend it past 30 days

i assume ESXi is only for servers? i guess i'll read about it...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg22 View Post
    i'm using VMWare workstation to do development and testing.. but its only a 30 day trial... so I have to uninstall and re-install the license to extend it past 30 days

i assume ESXi is only for servers? i guess i'll read about it...
    I think most of what is supported in Worstation is supported in ESXi.
    I've tried the following so far:
    Windows Server 2000/2003/2008.
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu/FreeBSD
    Windows Vista/XP

I've not really had any issues but I have not used each OS a lot either. I just install and try out the browser, then on to the next one

There is a guide here with some bugs etc. (not a complete list of what you can run though):
    http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf

The client is good enough for administering and working with any of the operating systems I've tried.
    Last edited by MultiForce; 08-11-2008 at 07:08 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ah ok, thanks man.. i gotta dig into that and find out how (if necessary) to convert my Workstation VM to ESXi

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg22 View Post
    ah ok, thanks man.. i gotta dig into that and find out how (if necessary) to convert my Workstation VM to ESXi
    Maybe you can use this one:

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    ...I found out I'm going to use it on one of my 2 servers so I can test out other operating systems without taking down my server...
    Were you hiding this intention from yourself?
    How did you find out? Did you accidentally leave an incriminating note around that you later found and cover was blown?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    ...I found out I'm going to use it on one of my 2 servers so I can test out other operating systems without taking down my server...
    How did you find out? Did you accidentally leave an incriminating note around that you later found and cover was blown?
    Are you a woman?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    Are you a woman?
    No. Neither am I uptight.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008