Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 820 kbit/sec... always

janster
    When I dl from newsgroups, I never get a faster speed then 800 to 850kbit/sec. When I check my bandwidth though, it says that my download speed is 5 MB/sec at all times. Does anyone have an idea why the speed in newsgroups is so much slower than what my internet connection can bring? And why is it always in the same range (low 800's)? I have the feeling that I have some settings wrong.

Cable provider: Roadrunner
    Newsserver: Giganews (w/ ssl)
    Newsreader: Usenet Explorer

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by janster View Post
    When I dl from newsgroups, I never get a faster speed then 800 to 850kbit/sec. When I check my bandwidth though, it says that my download speed is 5 MB/sec at all times. Does anyone have an idea why the speed in newsgroups is so much slower than what my internet connection can bring? And why is it always in the same range (low 800's)? I have the feeling that I have some settings wrong.

Cable provider: Roadrunner
    Newsserver: Giganews (w/ ssl)
    Newsreader: Usenet Explorer
    I have to use 2 connections/threads in Newsbin when using Giganews to get full speed on 8mbps line.

You are sure you have 5 MB/s and not 5mbps??

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    janster
    i always have 20 simultaneous connections. i forgot to mention that i am using stunnel for encryption. don't know if it makes any difference.

whats the difference between MB/s and mbps?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    i always have 20 simultaneous connections. i forgot to mention that i am using stunnel for encryption. don't know if it makes any difference.

whats the difference between MB/s and mbps?
    Mbps is megabits per second
    MBps is megabytes per second

I was just asking becuase a lot of people don't know the difference.

Some apps and most broadband connections are using Mbps to measure transfer rate and other apps use MB/s and KB/s.

5 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]
    5000 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
    0.625 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
    625 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]

Do you mean you use tunneling or do you use SSL? If you just use SSL the speed should be @ max anyway. If you use tunneling the speed depends on whatever you connect through.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    duynghia's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    MultiForce, it's 5Mbps (Megabits per second) but not 5MB (MegaBytes), I've just checked Road Runner ISP here
    Code:
    http://content.rr.com/rdrun/why.htm
    5Mbps ~ 620KB/s(KiloBytes/s)
    I was wondering how he could reach 820KB/s

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by vipoftheworld View Post
    MultiForce, it's 5Mbps (Megabits per second) but not 5MB (MegaBytes), I've just checked Road Runner ISP here
    Code:
    http://content.rr.com/rdrun/why.htm
    5Mbps ~ 620KB/s(KiloBytes/s)
    I was wondering how he could reach 820KB/s
    Then he is lucky

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Just so we're all working in the same units here, your bandwidth is 5Mb/s * 1024 / 8 = 640KB/s
    Downloading at 850Kb/s / 8 = 106.25 KB/s

If you don't cap off your upload speed, then it will bottleneck your connection. UL and DL speeds are not equal. You may only be uploading at 80KB/s and that is choking off your download speed. I have a 384KB/s down speed and a 48KB/s up speed. If I don't limit my uploads to at most 35KB/s, I can't DL worth a flip.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    janster
    Ok... now I get it. I just checked my speed w/ Cnet bandwidth meter test and it comes out to 5558 kbps which I guess equals about... 800 +/- KB/s (?). So I actually do max out my connection... my bad. Thanks for all your input.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    ohhhhh,it is funny

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Ok... now I get it. I just checked my speed w/ Cnet bandwidth meter test and it comes out to 5558 kbps which I guess equals about... 800 +/- KB/s (?). So I actually do max out my connection... my bad. Thanks for all your input.
    Yes, you are downloading at maximum speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast