Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: encryption

Ya, I'm full of it.
    I have been using Newshosting for quite some time now and generally, have been pleased with their service, retention, and most of all their price. As anyone does, on occasion, I worry about getting a letter from the MPAA or RIAA. My question concerns the use of encryption for downloads so they cannot be monitored. Newhosting does not offer encryption and Giganews does. The price difference is 5 bucks per month between the two. Is encryption, as well as better retention, worth the price difference? Is encryption alone worth the extra price?
    Last edited by Racket; 08-07-2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: removed ? icon

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    What price difference are you comparing to get $5 difference? I know that it costs $5 to add encryption to any of the lesser accounts (not diamond) at Giganews. The Diamond account at giganews is $19.99 for the first month only ($5 more than the highest account at newshosting) and then becomes $29.99 so it is a bit more than regular news services. I personally use UseNetServer as they offer free 256 bit SSL included in their plans and they are relatively cheap. Encryption may be worth the piece of mind to you so I suggest weighing your options.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    newsdemon also offers ssl now its 128bit encryption and i have been told that this is fine for newsgroups

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Ya, I'm full of it.
    Holy Moley... I guess I didn't realize the diamond account price was only a one month special...DUH!

Certainly, my peace of mind is not worth paying twice the amount per month for service.

Fletcher 25
    Usenetserver seems like a good deal. Do you use SSL, and if you do, does it affect your download speed?
    Last edited by colonblow87; 08-07-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by colonblow87 View Post
    Holy Moley... I guess I didn't realize the diamond account price was only a one month special...DUH!

Certainly, my peace of mind is not worth paying twice the amount per month for service.

Fletcher 25
    Usenetserver seems like a good deal. Do you use SSL, and if you do, does it affect your download speed?
    I use SSL (they offer 256 bit encryption) with usenetserver and speed is just fine (max of my connection 5 Mbps).

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    if you are afraid of mpaa letters just do not post. the mpaa does no have a way to monitor what is sent between you and usenet company.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    Just to update, colonblow87 sent me a PM saying he was switching to usenetserver.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    I use usenet-news and they give you ssl and it does not slow down speed at all. I get max connection the whole time.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    encryption on usenet is pointless for defending yourself against the riaa/mpaa.

Usenet knows what you download encrypted or not. Only purposes it serves is if your ISP monitors or is forced to monitor you.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Submission View Post
    encryption on usenet is pointless for defending yourself against the riaa/mpaa.

Usenet knows what you download encrypted or not. Only purposes it serves is if your ISP monitors or is forced to monitor you.
    not all usenet servers log what people download just the amount.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast