Thread: Some questions about "Newsgroups"

HDR's Avatar SEED.OR.DiE-GOT.iT ? BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55

Question Mark

Hi, i was thinking about newsgroups, i've tried it before, but with no success because looks like we need to pay to download from the newsgroups...?

Sorry for my dumb question(s), but i don't understand what is the newsgroups and the NZB files, and i can't find a guide explaining that.

My questions are:
    Do i need to pay to download from the newsgroups?
    Is there any way to download without paying (if its payed)?
    What advantages do i get from that when compared to torrents?

If anyone has PATIENCE to explain at least the basics would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS: if there's already a thread explaining this please post the link, because i can't find it.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Hi, i was thinking about newsgroups, i've tried it before, but with no success because looks like we need to pay to download from the newsgroups...?
    You need access to a server that has binaries. Some people have ISP's that carry them but many pay for access to a premium server elsewhere
    Sorry for my dumb question(s), but i don't understand what is the newsgroups and the NZB files, and i can't find a guide explaining that.
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php for a complete guide

My questions are:
    Do i need to pay to download from the newsgroups?
    You don't need to, most people prefer it for a better server
    Is there any way to download without paying (if its payed)?
    Maybe your ISP provides it? There are FREE servers out there, but they can be slow and have little retention (how long posts are retained on the server before being purged), often just a few days.
    What advantages do i get from that when compared to torrents?
    Many
    No uploading required
    Usually anonymous (Your IP is displayed to all others in a torrent)
    Usually faster speed (not limited by the upload speed of others, but the connection with the server - I get maximum with a pay-for server)
    New stuff faster (no having to wait for a swarm to build)
    If you want to share (upload) stuff, you only upload once rather than having to keep a torrent alive (with premium servers this is usually anonymous, don't do this through your ISP's server as its not usually anonymous)

If anyone has PATIENCE to explain at least the basics would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS: if there's already a thread explaining this please post the link, because i can't find it.
    Slyck's guide (linked above) is fairly good. I'd just add there tends to be two types of accounts on premium servers: monthly & block

Monthly accounts you pay X amount each month either for a quota amount of download or for an unlimited plan. Block accounts you pay for a non-expiring block of download, it lasts until you used it all up - some posters use a block account to post and don't download from it! You may like to buy a block for experimenting with until you are happy and know your typical usage to decide which plan is best.
    This space is reserved for future use

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    HDR's Avatar SEED.OR.DiE-GOT.iT ? BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    First i would like to thank you for your great patience x)

Now i understand almost everything (i have been reading the guide of the link you posted).

But now i have 2 new questions:
    Is there any free app to download the full NZB files?
    Where can i find more free servers since i only know one (which is one in the list of the link you've posted)?

Thanks again, and thanks in advance for who can help this retard (me) with this.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    But now i have 2 new questions:
    Is there any free app to download the full NZB files?
    Do you mean the nzb posted in the NG?
    There are plenty of NZB listing sites like tvnzb and nzbmatrix, but there are apps to download headers for NZB's.
    Don't forget search sites like binsearch.info that allow you to download parts as an NZB.

Where can i find more free servers since i only know one (which is one in the list of the link you've posted)?
    Ah the elusive question. Many people who find them don't advertise them on because if they get popular they'll slow down. There are sites listing free servers, its a case of searching. Don't forget if you have a decent binary app you can download from several (free) servers simultaneously and so get reasonable speeds.
    This space is reserved for future use