Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What I Just Learned About BT Encryption

For the longest time I had thought that BT encryption only encrypted the Headers of the packets. I found out today, to my elation, that the current clients (like utor 1.7) encrypt not onlye the header but also th message of the packet. It seems that header-only encryption has been outdated long ago.

I was surprised, and my sense of BT security dramatically increased... my ISP can't monitor me :-). For the longest time I had thought the contrary. Anyway, I just wanted to share with you guys the relief I felt when I found this out.

Happy (free)leeching, Comcast users!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    For the longest time I had thought that BT encryption only encrypted the Headers of the packets. I found out today, to my elation, that the current clients (like utor 1.7) encrypt not onlye the header but also th message of the packet. It seems that header-only encryption has been outdated long ago.

I was surprised, and my sense of BT security dramatically increased... my ISP can't monitor me :-). For the longest time I had thought the contrary. Anyway, I just wanted to share with you guys the relief I felt when I found this out.

Happy (free)leeching, Comcast users!
    Yes...I read about this too and started using the setting. Works great! Trackers should start requiring it...IMHO.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    wrongun92's Avatar Love Life BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    what about version 1.6.1?

To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    The key is to get everyone to do it...

Does µTorrent support Protocol Encryption (PE)?

Yes, as of version 1.4.1 beta build 407. It is compatible with Azureus 2.4.0.0 and BitComet 0.63.
    Protocol Encryption (PE) is a joint specification between Azureus and µTorrent. It is designed to bypass throttling and/or blocking of BitTorrent traffic by an ISP.
    You can choose Protocol Encryption's mode of operation in BitTorrent. Here is an explanation of the various options you can choose from:
    • Disabled: Does not encrypt outgoing connections, but will accept encrypted incoming connections.
    • Enabled: Attempts to encrypt outgoing connections, but will fall back to an unencrypted mode if the connection fails.
    • Force: Attempts to encrypt outgoing connections, and will NOT fall back to an unencrypted mode if the connection fails.
    • Allow legacy incoming connections enables or disables incoming legacy (non-encrypted) connections.
    All modes will accept incoming encrypted connections (and the encryption is 2-way)!
    It is NOT recommended to turn off "Allow legacy incoming connections", unless you cannot have any non-encrypted connections (typically in conjunction with Forced), in which case turning off "Allow legacy incoming connections" is acceptable.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by arkiebrian View Post
    Trackers should start requiring it...IMHO.
    Not a bad idea, really. I'm sure encryption is de facto by now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    FTN Please :) BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Its good but doest the ISP still know that you are using bittorrent and they r throttling i enmasse without any thinking if torrent use is legitimate like downloading linux ISO or not...

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by apunpktun View Post
    Its good but doest the ISP still know that you are using bittorrent
    Yeah, some (not all) comcast users report throttling even when encryption is fully enabled. I don' know how they can sill recognize the packets as BT, if this is even true.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I have used it for quite a while just because i was told to do so but does it really stop comcast from knowing what you are downloading ? or any other problem isp

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by apunpktun View Post
    Its good but doest the ISP still know that you are using bittorrent and they r throttling i enmasse without any thinking if torrent use is legitimate like downloading linux ISO or not...
    But it can keep you from getting notices about specific DLs.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I believe the security implemented in most clients uses RC4.
    I've never heard of a secure stream cipher, and RC4 is no exception.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast