Thread: Removing a mac partition from a portable hd, with windows.

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    I got a Lacie portable hard drive from a friend and its supposed to be 160 gigs but for some reason windows only sees 25. My friend told me he has a mac partition on it before I left his house and I think thats the problem but I dont know how to remove it.

Does anyone know?
    Last edited by Smith; 02-10-2009 at 02:24 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    micropino's Avatar Lossless Ears BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I think the best way is to copy all your needed data somewhere, then go to ntfs format from within XP...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Correct, but I strongly suggest using GParted Live, it's free and it's a Linux application and is very good and gives you endless fun
    A hard disk is usually subdivided into one or more partitions. These partitions are normally not re-sizable (making one smaller and the adjacent one larger). The purpose of GParted is to allow the individual to take a hard disk and change the partition organization therein, while preserving the partition contents.

GParted is an industrial-strength package for creating, destroying, resizing, moving, checking and copying partitions, and the file systems on them. This is useful for creating space for new operating systems, reorganizing disk usage, copying data residing on hard disks and mirroring one partition with another (disk imaging). See Features, before using it.
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
    It doesn't say it there, but you can wipe your entire drive too...it's the best if you ask me, alot will say Acronis, but who can beat free
    Just burn the ISO and boot
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 02-11-2009 at 05:04 AM.
    [center]

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    micropino's Avatar Lossless Ears BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    It doesn't say it there, but you can wipe your entire drive too...it's the best if you ask me
    +1 this is the best solution, keep in mind that there is a percentage of risk when using Partitioning software that could impact your HDD stability even in the future... so the best way is to clean it up then build it once again