Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimenationary in Ramen: A Food Thread

Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post

.........So, I decided to make them Eggplant Moussaka without so much as a recipe. With the exception of frying to the eggplants a tad too much, and using about 0.5 more measures of water than needed, I actually got it pretty much right by simply "winging it".

Point of the story: Get behind a stove with some oil, onions, salt, pepper and whatever else you have in your fridge, and I'm sure you'll love whatever you churn out.
    Bullshit. Until you've mastered certain processes all you are ever going to be able to make is something in tomato sauce or gravy. In order to master those processes you need to be taught them, which is where recipes come in. Cooking is intuitive in terms of taste, but not technique. You might as well say medical research is intuitive: 'oh just bung that gene in there, it looks about right so it'll probably do the same thing'. And if you did say that (I wouldn't put it past you) I would shank you, I really would.

Now not to put a too finer point on it, but letting my wife into the kitchen to 'wing it' can end up with some truly diabolical results. Either it's not that intuitive, or she just has absolutely no intuition.This is not a gag, she has cooked some mystery dishes that even the cats turn their nose up at, so having a lash isn't always the best course of action.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    I am actually sitting on a 60s swivel chair, but since I'm typing this I'm sure you can guess that I'm not stroking my pussy
    Who is ?

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I am actually sitting on a 60s swivel chair, but since I'm typing this I'm sure you can guess that I'm not stroking my pussy
    Who is ?
    It is probably licking itself at the moment

I can't quite believe I typed that
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    .../pics
    Now go away.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Who is ?
    It is probably licking itself at the moment

I can't quite believe I typed that
    It's asleep and it doesn't want to be disturbed!

6. Lounge   -   #36
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Clearly you have never baked...
    Indeed, there is little intuitive about making a good loaf of bread.
    Bread- good bread- requires few ingredients but major amounts of technique and I don't know how a novice would accidentally tumble to the tricks.

I like baking cause the place smells so nice afterwords.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Lounge   -   #37
    FFS!1 What the fuck is going on around here? ... Does this look like fucking Mumsnet or something? ... Have you all turned into wimmin?

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Clearly you have never baked...
    Indeed, there is little intuitive about making a good loaf of bread.
    Bread- good bread- requires few ingredients but major amounts of technique and I don't know how a novice would accidentally tumble to the tricks.

I like baking cause the place smells so nice afterwords.
    Yep, baking is considered scientific in approach because the right result really does rely on the absolute right quantities of ingredients and particular techniques.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Ah here's the thing. Chemists can follow recipes, and use intuition to make adjustments. I've baked lots of bread in my day, so I'm familiar with doughy products (present avatar excluded). In this specific case, I took a look at an Udon noodle recipe, and instinctively knew what to do (from experience). Now I'm a bit of a saucier in my kitchen. My wife cooks for shit, except for pastries. However, anything that we eat, it's usually I who handles the sauces and seasonings. I wasn't trained in it, just your typical trial and error method of development that I've been doing for years. So for broths and curry I can usually work from my head and mood.

Point is, I have my limitations, I can't do everything by instinct, but I can alter a recipe more suitable for my taste and succeed.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 09-07-2011 at 02:26 AM.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Yep, baking is considered scientific in approach because the right result really does rely on the absolute right quantities of ingredients and particular techniques.
    Sure, but just like scientific technique, there are factors that give way to leniency, substitution, or alteration, and it takes intuition (based on fundamental understanding) to guess where they exist successfully. With cooking and science, there are tried and true iron rules and practices, but as a whole they are not static.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast