View Poll Results: What format do you prefer for scene SD TV?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • x264 (mp4)

18 75.00%
  • XviD (avi)

6 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mp4 TV shows

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Did anybody pay attention on how the mp4 scene releases are doing? Do people snatch them?

Must be nice for iOS users to play them natively on their devices.

Do you prefer XviD or x264?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Yes.
    Respect my lack of authority.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    mp4 is just the container, they could use that or mkv, no real difference in terms of what the scene does (1 video stream, 1 audio stream). Anyways, they should have switched to the better of the codecs a long time ago. Many many devices have been capable of playing h.264 standard for a while now, just not the MKV container. And the fact that it's at standard resolution, weaker devices can manage it just fine.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    My purposes are limited regarding the two. Often, the only time there will be a choice that matters to me would be, for example, CSI. I cannot get that program on Netflix, so it is one of a handful of television programs I still need to download. What it comes down to for me, is the quality of the recording itself. If the Xvid is OoS, then it is nice to have the other. Just a backup as I am playing the file on a television via PC and VLC. I cannot say I've ever favored one. File size difference is negligible, and neither is necessarily lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    What it comes down to for me, is the quality of the recording itself. If the Xvid is OoS, then it is nice to have the other. Just a backup as I am playing the file on a television via PC and VLC. I cannot say I've ever favored one. File size difference is negligible, and neither is necessarily lacking.
    I thought you already knew the quality will be nicer for the h.264-based version. At the same bitrate, there are quite a few codecs that give better results than xvid, x264 is just the most popular and best performing encoder.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    MP4 all the way. Better compression, direct to ios devices, i don't know why groups are still releasing in xvid at all. Waste of time.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by zonetbh View Post
    MP4 all the way. Better compression, direct to ios devices, i don't know why groups are still releasing in xvid at all. Waste of time.
    Technically, it saves them a little bit of time. Faster encoding with XVID than x264. Though at lower resolutions and using multicored systems, not all that much time.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'm a firm believer that my previous post was the most intelligent one in this thread.
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    What it comes down to for me, is the quality of the recording itself. If the Xvid is OoS, then it is nice to have the other. Just a backup as I am playing the file on a television via PC and VLC. I cannot say I've ever favored one. File size difference is negligible, and neither is necessarily lacking.
    I thought you already knew the quality will be nicer for the h.264-based version. At the same bitrate, there are quite a few codecs that give better results than xvid, x264 is just the most popular and best performing encoder.
    For a see-it-once television program, I really don't focus on the small details. If I did, I'd probably start criticize scripting and the ANNOYING CBS logo which has moved from its once mostly out of the waty position, to near center stage on some encodes. It is that sort thing that catches my attention, not pixels.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    newsgroupie
    I prefer x264 for torrent downloads (because of the small filesize) but xvid for usenet downloads (because of wider playability)-- but the poll does not offer a choice of "it depends" - only one or the other, so I did not cast a vote. .

Does this poll's placement in the Bittorrent section mean that it is referring only to downloads via torrent (and not usenet) or is the subject about codecs itself, independent of download methods?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast