Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which version of linux can run on my laptop

shosh's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Im looking to start using my old laptop again for basic appz like internet browsing and typing and i would like to know what version of linux is suitable for a 600 mhz pent III laptop. i would like a version similar to windows, not command line.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Why not Windows 2000 pro ? Not to discourage you from Linux but my old Pentium III 800 screams along with just 256 mb memory . I found it on the curb on spring clean up day , all I added was a PSU .

I was going to try Linspire 5.1 but after reading how it needs a fast computer I did n't bother . Do you just want to try something new , if so maybe look in the Linux section for some ideas .

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-lin...ro-guide-67820

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Try DSL. They just released a new version, 3.4.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    that Linux guide needs re writing. all of the distro's there are very out of date, mandrake is now called mandriva and the most popular distro (ubuntu) isnt even on the list.

dsl will be very fast but having to run fluxbox as a window manager seems to put people off. I would try ubuntu your computer should be fast enought to run it at a decent speed.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    There is also xubuntu. It's basicly ubuntu for slower hardware.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    Try Fedra or Suse. Now keep in mind if you have no idea how to write drivers then no point of using it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by HKM View Post
    Try Fedra or Suse. Now keep in mind if you have no idea how to write drivers then no point of using it.

Well thanks for your contribution but he asked for a windows like distro ?

Not trying to be funny as would like to try myself .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Try TinyMe (a reduced PCLinuxOS) or Puppy Linux.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HKM View Post

Well thanks for your contribution but he asked for a windows like distro ?

Not trying to be funny as would like to try myself .
    Well, Suse and Fedra is user friendly. If you don't know anything then well there is always the classic MAN, and forums you can ask. You have to understand Unix/Linux actually does require some basic knowledge on networking and programming also someone on extended commands stuct.

Now I have been making drivers, patch, fix, ect for ages under linux and unix mostly linux now but you can enable it on unix using ~elf cap. Point is if you want to learn something take the time and learn it. Linux is made by people FOR the people. Unlike WinBLOW its faster, secure and mostly stable.

Suse/Fedra is actually very user friendly also does have package manager which people new to the world will find useful. Not everyone know how to recompile the CVS and make install manually.

PS: Another common misconception. Keep in mind Windows is a UNIX like platform just with extended GUI support which you can do on unix itself using X. Now Unix is NOT Windows like platform.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    See my post. Who else here is using Linux?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast