Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Windows Vista

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Hey all..

Got my new PC the other day and installed Vista 32Bit on it, only to figure out it doesn't use the 4GB of RAM I bought, only 3 of them.. Was wondering if it's worth upgrading to 64Bit, and if so, which games would most likely not work on 64Bit?

On top of that, is it possible to simple upgrade the 32Bit to 64Bit, or do I have to reformat the OS drive and start from completely scratch again?

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Congrats on the new rig man. You will need to reformat homie, Some people say 64 is better performance wise, but IMHO I don't see that much of a difference and I tend to have driver issues with X64 but that's just me.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Seems a shame, since I bought 4GB of RAM which windows can only use 3GB of.. Will see about it later on, drivers and co.-wise.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well it uses over 3 gigs like 3 1/4 I think. Look at it like this soon, if all goes well with the release, you could upgrade to Windows 7 I think that 32 bit uses more than 4.
    Last edited by Detale; 11-17-2008 at 02:13 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Well it uses over 3 gigs like 3 1/4 I think. Look at it like this soon, if all goes well with the release, you could upgrade to Windows 7 I think that 32 bit uses more than 4.
    Wrong.
    The limit on addressed memory (max amount "recognized") is a function of the 32-bit architecture, not the specific OS.

I'm wondering why they would even make a 32-bit version of Windows7.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I've had no driver issues with Vista64 on my desktop.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    I've had no driver issues with Vista64 on my desktop.
    X2. And yes, you'll have to format to install a x64 O.S.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Wrong.
    The limit on addressed memory (max amount "recognized") is a function of the 32-bit architecture, not the specific OS.

I'm wondering why they would even make a 32-bit version of Windows7.
    Could be there'll be new netbooks with 32bit architecture.

Microsoft seem willing to jump through a lot of hoops just to make sure people don't end up using any pesky alternatives. Wouldn't want a whole generation end up using linux, or something.

They are already selling oem licenses of vista and xp at low low prices, with current netbooks.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    I have a HP Pavilion laptop with Windows Vista 64-bit. As far as the gaming aspect, it's a pain getting older games to work. This site is really helpful http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    colombianino's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    my opinion, don't get vista unless you want errors, on labtops is a pain, on desktops it should be fine but you'll likely run into an error one day.
    There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast