Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unrarred torrents

vic's Avatar Poster
    How come more sites are not encouraging unrarred uploads ?

i know it's not scene and everything - fuck the scene.

it guarantees that people will seed longer since they don't have to rar the game\movie\app and keep the Rar files as long with the unrarred files.

just want to hear your opinion.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    ShadowsServant's Avatar Tomato BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Specialized sites do encourage unrarred uploads: BMTV and TvT.ro for example. General trackers keep them intact most of the time.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    The logic is that if you download one file whether it's iso, avi or whatever and there is a corruption in there then you have to re-download the whole file again. If on the other hand it's broken down into rars then you only have to download the one rar file that's corrupted. Big difference if you have to re-download a 4GB iso compared to a 47MB rar file.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurka View Post
    The logic is that if you download one file whether it's iso, avi or whatever and there is a corruption in there then you have to re-download the whole file again. If on the other hand it's broken down into rars then you only have to download the one rar file that's corrupted. Big difference if you have to re-download a 4GB iso compared to a 47MB rar file.
    well you don't have to worry about corrupted files with bittorrent since it have it's own built-in checksums and if a piece isn't matching the checksum, it will be automatically redownloaded.

i have a solution to the OP's problem though. don't unrar the stuff until you're gonna use it. if it's a movie for example, extract it when you want to watch it, then delete the extracted files afterwards.

however, i do agree that it is more convenient to have it unrarred already when you download it. but remember that that means more work for the uploaders. 0day sites would never implement this since they would lose minutes in pre-times.

and you said fuck the scene? tell me, how much of what you download is scene releases, and how much is actually p2p releases? that's right.. don't say "fuck the scene" when you're downloading their stuff.
    Last edited by danio; 01-14-2009 at 10:46 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    Good point ghurka.

Never thought of it like that.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    flashback3r's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    If they are 0day trackers they have scene stuff. And I think it is understandable they have it in rars then, because that's the way it is.

But other sites where non scene rls are allowed you see the unrared material

If you hate the scene and their ways. Stop downloading it. Join a good p2p tracker instead then with their own rls.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    vic's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by danio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurka View Post
    well you don't have to worry about corrupted files with bittorrent since it have it's own built-in checksums and if a piece isn't matching the checksum, it will be automatically redownloaded.

i have a solution to the OP's problem though. don't unrar the stuff until you're gonna use it. if it's a movie for example, extract it when you want to watch it, then delete the extracted files afterwards.

however, i do agree that it is more convenient to have it unrarred already when you download it. but remember that that means more work for the uploaders. 0day sites would never implement this since they would lose minutes in pre-times.

and you said fuck the scene? tell me, how much of what you download is scene releases, and how much is actually p2p releases? that's right.. don't say "fuck the scene" when you're downloading their stuff.
    you didn't get the last part.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    noAxx's Avatar Anti-Trader
    Scene formatting is a pain - which is why I tend to enjoy those "uber 1337" 0day sites that everybody here seems to get hard for. The truth is, if you wait long enough, most of that same content will eventually be formatted for playability on one of the larger non-scene general trackers like Demonoid or RarBG or Zamunda. Of course, I've always been more interested in using bt obtain stuff I can't simply get on Amazon or Netflix. So for me, it is less of an issue since many of the sites that have what I like (CG, KG, SC) are 95%+ user rips, and are thus naturally in playable/burnable formats.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by vic View Post
    it guarantees that people will seed longer since they don't have to rar the game\movie\app and keep the Rar files as long with the unrarred files.
    That's a good point and to me is reason enough.
    You beat me to it. Uncompressed, split archives are worthless for bittorrent.
    On the other hand, for FTP, which doesn't have built-in validation, it is extremely helpful. Last time I checked, the Scene uses SFTP to trade with each other... so this may be the reason why we see all the scene releases archived... even the smallest of programs like PowerISO (a program that I hate for CRCing my Windows XP cds ).

Consider the scene as the "haves" and the torrenters as the "have nots". The people who distribute the scene releases are modern-day Robin Hoods. The poor thank Robin Hood, even though the wealth originates from the aristocracy. They hate the aristocracy for not sharing their inherited wealth, and become only more indignant when they actually gain access to the aristocrat's wealth through Robin Hood.
    Last edited by Brenya; 01-15-2009 at 02:56 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Another good thing about rarring is the ability to use sfv files. It's nice to launch quicksfv to check the files in the event of some strange hard drive activity (ie it's dying or copying the files over to an older hard drive).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast