Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft releases security update for Internet Explorer

ulun64's Avatar Poster
    This is very critical update for IE users so beware and update it asap.

Microsoft has released an emergency security update to fix the vulnerability in Internet Explorer that has seen the computers of at least two million users hacked.

By Jon Swaine
    Last Updated: 11:15AM GMT 18 Dec 2008

The "zero day" flaw allows hackers to gain access to the computers of visitors to infected websites, jeopardising the security of passwords, bank details and other personal information. It is believed that as many as 233,000 web pages have been affected.

Microsoft says its "critical" update will protect users. Christopher Budd, of the software giant's security centre, said the company "encourages all Internet Explorer customers to test and deploy this update as soon as possible".

Mike Reavey, also from the security centre, said: "Even with that, the release Emergency Response process isn't over. There is additional support to customers and additional refinement of our product development efforts."

Microsoft has said that the flaw has been proven to exist only in version 7 of Internet Explorer, but that version 6 and the "beta" release of version 8 are also "potentially vulnerable".

It has estimated that one in every 500 Windows users has been exposed to websites that attempt to exploit the flaw, and that the number of victims was increasing by 50 per cent every day.

Paul Ferguson, a researcher from the software security company Trend Micro, told the BBC that attacks were spreading "like wildfire".

"This vulnerability is being actively exploited by cyber-criminals and getting worse every day," Mr Ferguson said.

The update is available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...displayLang=en

I got this article from this link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...-Explorer.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    This is like twice in two months they've had to roll out an immediate (non-patch Tuesday) update.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    why would anyone in their right mind ever use internet explorer!!

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalltheway View Post
    why would anyone in their right mind ever use internet explorer!!
    To browse the Internet most likely.

I'm no expert though.

yo

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    It sucks that you can't uninstall it.

I hope Windows 7 gives the option to remove some of M$'s preinstalled components like IE.

Luckily nlite provides some of these options, but most have some consequences (like IE you'll lose the *.MHT file format).

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    A lot ppls use IE cos it's come together with Windows, I do wish I can totally remove it and replace with Opera or Firefox.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

I'm no expert though.
    really did not know that, thought smart people used Firefox, Opera, Safari etc before using trash like IE.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalltheway View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

I'm no expert though.
    really did not know that, thought smart people used Firefox, Opera, Safari etc before using trash like IE.
    If they're more tech savvy, most probably do.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Blackbeard's Avatar <3 rock BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I always used firefox i always loved the plugins like adblock and all that.. when i used ie i used to have to format every 2/6 weeks whiched sucked, i'll never use ie again. always use firefox/opera and no microsoft will not remove ie from windows, because "it's their product" firefox/opera isn't.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    GuitarLegend's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    65%of the people who use the internet use IE so this update is needed
    Just seeding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast