Thread: Some questions regarding OVH

I plan on ordering a server from OVH, but the problem is that I don't leave in one of the countries they support. But no biggie, I have a friend in Poland, so he can order for me.
    Now, what I want to know is do they really call to confirm the order? Also, if my friend orders it, will the tech support be available only in Polish? I doubt I'll need it, but who knows... I might run into some problems. If you have any helpful information, shoot.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    No - they don't call, it's just something they put there to make people think

Tech support can be in any language you like.

Just pay, be quiet & wait for the details.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    No - they don't call, it's just something they put there to make people think

Tech support can be in any language you like.

Just pay, be quiet & wait for the details.
    Great news, thanks. Oh, forgot about one thing. I'd be running wine + vnc on the server, so which CPU would you choose?

Intel Celeron 220
    1.2 GHz L2: 512Ko, FSB: 533 MHz

or

Intel Celeron D
    2.00 GHz L2: 256Ko, FSB: 400 MHz

I think I should go with the second one. Yes, it does have less cache and slower fsb, but I think that wine needs more processing power. I'm open to suggestions.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Yeah, but soon, they will put a new security measure.
    For a new account, the first time you'll be ordering something and paying with a credit card, you will need to give your cell phone number. Like that, they'll send to you a SMS with a code that you will need to type somewhere on their website.
    This will be done to avoid people to pay with a stolen credit card.

At the moment, the only check they can made is to ask you to send by mail or fax several proofs of your identity.

Edit: You can't choose the CPU you want on the server. Usually, you get the first one.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Thanks, I didn't knew that. Lets order then.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kross View Post
    At the moment, the only check they can made is to ask you to send by mail or fax several proofs of your identity.
    So you need to be able to mail them a copy of passport or driver license? Or do they randomly check people?

In other word how anonymous can you register there?
    Last edited by goodkat; 07-08-2008 at 09:33 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    BANNED BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Your bank card has to match your address for 1.
    Ive heard people getting asked for proof but not many so it must be just random.
    But yhea soon they will start the sms thing.But still i dont see that working.
    Also the reseller program,witch in my eyes aint good news as u can resell anyway in theory.
    Reseller program=less speed on the network...or am i just being greedy!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Didn't wanna open a new thread for this simple question. Which version of wine should I install? I've read somewhere that 1.0.0 had some troubles running utorrent, is 1.1.0 any different or should I go for a version before 1?