Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naming your Children Stephen & Colbert

I am waiting in line at the supermarket. Strike up a convo with a pregnant woman in front of me about the Colbert Report. She tells me she <3's Stephen Colbert SOOOO much that she plans on naming her twins Stephen & Colbert. I think to myself...sounds a little whacky, but hey to each his own.

Then she starts saying about how great it is he can speak about his conservative views while other conservatives get roundly abused. She wishes she could do the same. She was quite serious. Definitely not joking. Hmmm. Okay, guess she doesn't get his humor...he's making fun of conservatives thats how he can get away with it.

She paid and left. I didn't explain to her about his humor and she will probably name her children after Stephen Colbert in a month or two...

I guess there is a moral dilemma here. My g/f says I should have said something - that even if the woman was an idiot, I should have corrected her. I dunno whatever. I figure she'll get it eventually and by that time it won't matter to her anyway.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    'k, Honey, but I get to pick the name of our next one.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    What in the name of fuck would possess someone to "Strike up a convo with a pregnant woman in front ... in line at the supermarket"

Go in, buy your stuff, get out. It's not a fucking social club, it's a shop.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Well if you get lucky you know ya can't get her preggers.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyday@420 View Post
    I am waiting in line at the supermarket. Strike up a convo with a pregnant woman in front of me about the Colbert Report. She tells me she <3's Stephen Colbert SOOOO much that she plans on naming her twins Stephen & Colbert. I think to myself...sounds a little whacky, but hey to each his own.

Then she starts saying about how great it is he can speak about his conservative views while other conservatives get roundly abused. She wishes she could do the same. She was quite serious. Definitely not joking. Hmmm. Okay, guess she doesn't get his humor...he's making fun of conservatives thats how he can get away with it.

She paid and left. I didn't explain to her about his humor and she will probably name her children after Stephen Colbert in a month or two...

I guess there is a moral dilemma here. My g/f says I should have said something - that even if the woman was an idiot, I should have corrected her. I dunno whatever. I figure she'll get it eventually and by that time it won't matter to her anyway.
    You did the right thing saying nothing. This is simple Darwinism in action and should not be interfered with - remember it is Live Earth day.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. Lounge   -   #6
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyday@420 View Post

Wot? He's an orthodox old liner. You can't tell me any different.

-bd

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sextent View Post
    What in the name of fuck would possess someone to "Strike up a convo with a pregnant woman in front ... in line at the supermarket"

Go in, buy your stuff, get out. It's not a fucking social club, it's a shop.
    LOL good advice.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    how did you get onto discussing such a topic??? The most i've ever got to in a shopping line is "busy today, isn't it" or maybe "can you pass that stick thing that stops the moving conveyor thing moving, please?"

Please, more details. I'm fascinated how Stephen Colbert came up.
    "nice strawberries."
    "thanks, Stephen Colbert likes strawberries, did you know..."

Summat like that?

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    i was in these poeples gardens drinking, no idea who any of them were, they were all her friends lyke, anyway one of them was pregnant - tall skinny burd with ginger hair, the bloke wot nocked her up was standing beside her (he was not ginger, though he did have very pale skin) and he was jokingly saying how terrible it would be if the baby were to be born ginger - i said it could be worse, it could come out black - completely not noticing the black chic who had walked up behind me, it didn't go down very well.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder View Post
    i was in these poeples gardens drinking, no idea who any of them were, they were all her friends lyke, anyway one of them was pregnant - tall skinny burd with ginger hair, the bloke wot nocked her up was standing beside her (he was not ginger, though he did have very pale skin) and he was jokingly saying how terrible it would be if the baby were to be born ginger - i said it could be worse, it could come out black - completely not noticing the black chic who had walked up behind me, it didn't go down very well.
    lol. Smoothly does it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast