Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: utorrent slows down my internet

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Hi, recently I've noticed that when I have my utorrent client open, my internet connection slows down.

I have a 2mbps line, and have 150 global connections, and allow 100 connections per torrent. I also have a 25kbps upload limit to allow 5kb upload free.

I'm not sure why its slowed down though.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    If you are behind a NAT router, you could try resetting it. Some routers have trouble handling many connections.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    This wasn't a problem before though. I've restarted the router anyway, still doesn't help. One example is that when I have utorrent open and I am watching a streaming tv episode, it goes at like 20-50kbps. When I close utorrent it jumps to around 200kbps, even though my download on utorrent isn't taking that much bandwidth.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    chek firewall

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    try setting your max upload a bit less than your upload limit....e.g. if you have 0.5mb UL set it to 40k max..
    Now go away.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99shassan View Post
    Hi, recently I've noticed that when I have my utorrent client open, my internet connection slows down.

I have a 2mbps line, and have 150 global connections, and allow 100 connections per torrent. I also have a 25kbps upload limit to allow 5kb upload free.

I'm not sure why its slowed down though.
    Changing your settings is not going to help, much.

If you're downloading and uploading, you're using bandwidth. Think of your ethernet cable as a water hose - If utorrent is passing a lot of "water" through the hose, say 1.8mbps of your 2 mbps line, then there isn't much room for anything else to pass through - hence your slowed connection. it will take longer than normal to pass information through the line that would normally flow quickly.

yo

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    yeah but i won't be using that much bandwidth on my torrent downloads. like 30-40kb (crappy seeds, can reach max speed on torrents).

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by 99shassan View Post
    yeah but i won't be using that much bandwidth on my torrent downloads. like 30-40kb (crappy seeds, can reach max speed on torrents).
    30-40 KB/s upload is what's choking you. You have dsl, right? well your upload speed is significantly less than your download speed. There is a threshold of like 80% of max upload speed that if you pass, you download bandwidth is significantly affected. if you can max upload at 40KB/s, then try setting the max allowed to 30-35KB/s in utorrent.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    no, my download is going at around 30-40 kbps.

My upload rate is 30kbps, I set an upload limit of 25kbps in my preferences.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    the-big-gamer's Avatar HaRdRoCk BT Rep: +1
    hi man
    you can limit your download speed i use this with my u torrent
    try that any prblem post me
    byeeeeeeeeeee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast