Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Article not found' but its only 176 days old why isnt it working?

like the title says. I thought the files are hosted for "1300" days or whatever. Im with newsdemons btw. So how can this happen?

https://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/tv/x...-HDTV-XviD-W4F

this is one of the files. This has happened to one file that was like 2 days old. Many files have worked but some seem to not work and i dont know why. Any input would great.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    First, start of with your usenet 'service', which is a highwinds reseller. Highwinds is just about universally regarded as the WORST usenet plant in existence.

Sorry, but that's the facts.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Basically that means it's most likely a takedown issue and not a retention or propagation issue. Or wait, maybe a propagation issue? Does HW have those problems as well?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Use a block account as backup. Problem solved.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    Quote Originally Posted by tran_derek View Post
    like the title says. I thought the files are hosted for "1300" days or whatever. Im with newsdemons btw. So how can this happen? https://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/tv/x...-HDTV-XviD-W4F this is one of the files. This has happened to one file that was like 2 days old. Many files have worked but some seem to not work and i dont know why. Any input would great.
    sometimes they take a file down to comply with a written copyright order.. or ur retention isnt long enough.. it might be on another server but make sure its actually a diff server because alot of resellers are to the same servers
    Last edited by JustDOSE; 03-21-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    Pimpn aint easy ®

6. Newsgroups   -   #6

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    The short of it is, with your current provider, the possibilities of what is causing your problem(s) are pretty endless.

I would hazard that something that is a very recent posting (a couple of days) is most probably a propagation problem between the original posting server (whoever) and highwinds (flip a coin as to which, transmitter or receiver, not enough time for the copyright trolls to get off their lounge chairs to notice the posting; something past that to a month or two it MIGHT be a DMCA notice, something much further out (past a couple months), might be anything.

If you're locked into your provider (multi-month 'contract' or you paid 'up front' for a block of 'time'), then your only recourse is to get a decent block account from someone good (Blocknews or Astraweb) and go from there, keeping an eye on how much gets 'eaten away' by bad or nonexistent blocks from your 'primary' provider.

I think just about everyone here (90+%?) has slowly migrated from whatever (due to problems like you're seeing to outrageous fees) to the Astraweb/Blocknews combo. Astra is 'good' about 98% of the time, does go 'off the rails' occasionally, but Blocknews is VERY stable and has low cost blocks to be the 'backup'. Those staying with Giganews (very high price) even use one of the other two since Giga is the 'first stop' on the Troll train, usually.

I think no matter who you use as your 'primary', Blocknews is a 'must have' for usenet 'secondary'.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDOSE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tran_derek View Post
    like the title says. I thought the files are hosted for "1300" days or whatever. Im with newsdemons btw. So how can this happen? https://filesharingtalk.com/nzbs/tv/x...-HDTV-XviD-W4F this is one of the files. This has happened to one file that was like 2 days old. Many files have worked but some seem to not work and i dont know why. Any input would great.
    sometimes they take a file down to comply with a written copyright order.. or ur retention isnt long enough.. it might be on another server but make sure its actually a diff server because alot of resellers are to the same servers
    I will be the official JustDOSE translator, in case anyone doesn't speak retard.

"Sometimes they comply with takedown notices for copyright infringement violations and remove the file from their servers, or the file is not encompassed within the advertised retention time. It's possible that the file is on another server, but you should check the routing information to verify you are attempting to connect to a different server, as many resellers direct all connections to the same server."

See, it's not all that hard to sound literate, is it?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I wasn't aware that 'usenet' we're susceptible to takedown notices. As far as my provider i just signed up month to month so ill most likely cancel and go with something else, like Astraweb like one user mentioned. Now I understand a little bit more about how the 'usenet' service works. Thanks again.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Just a small (!?!) bit of legalese here with those 'takedowns'.

The DMCA is the 'act' in question, but it allows all the providers 'safe harbor' IF they set up a complaint and take-down procedure.

Now, you're asking yourself, what the @($^@*!! is a 'safe harbor'? Well, it means you can't sue or otherwise harass an entity (commercial or otherwise) just because a third party (mr. uploader) put a 'offending' item on their server. It's up to YOU, the copyright troll, to jump through the hoops and such to due the legal due diligence to cross all the t's and dot all the i's in your complaint, through that complaint process.

Of course, some entity could complain, and have absolutely no justification or legal right to do that complaining, That's what got YouTube in so much trouble about a year ago, they were taking down things that weren't legally copyrightable, simply because someone 'said' they were (a copyright 'troll'). In short, they were taking the complainants word with no legal council in the middle. Then THEY (YouTube) got sued silly by the folks who's material got 'taken down'.

To say that the entire 'process' is 'under new management' at YouTube is putting it mildly.

We have yet to see that in the usenet world.... yet.

But the usernet servers are covered by the same 'safe harbor' provisions, as long as they have a process (usually they simply contract that out to a legal firm, which is what YouTube DIDN'T do, they thought that they could save bucks by simply yanking stuff down upon any yahoo who could fill out a form).

Of course, there are lots of usenet servers out there, and the usenet 'network' is an electronic bucket brigade which 'echos' passing things around the net. So if a 'troll' wants to stomp on something, they've got to write up the process papers and be ready to send out the paperwork dozens and dozens of times, to each of the server companies. Fast.

I really don't think that the 'trolls' get the concept, really. Just send out the 'takedown' order to Giganews and that will stop it!

Yep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast