Thread: Viper's new iPhone app replaces your keychain

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Viper's new iPhone app replaces your keychain
    by Josh Lowensohn, October 13, 2009 6:00 AM PDT

" Car security company Directed Electronics is unveiling a new iPhone application Tuesday that lets customers control parts of their Viper SmartStart-enabled vehicle from their iPhone or iPod Touch.

The app, called Viper SmartStart, is quite similar toZipcar's recently released iPhone app, except it can work with your car, and not one you're renting for the weekend. It too creates a virtual keychain control module that can do things like lock and unlock your vehicle, open the trunk, and activate the alarm, getting rid of the need to carry around one of those keychain clickers as long as you've got your phone handy.

Coolest of all, though, there's a "Smart Start" button in the center of the screen that can turn on your vehicle. The company is promoting this as a simple way to defrost or cool off a car before you get in--that is, assuming you correctly set the climate controls the last time you were inside.

Since the app uses the iPhone's data connection to send the commands, you can control your car (or cars) from anywhere you have an EDGE or 3G signal. It also means you can use it on a non-cellular data device like the iPod Touch, as long as it's near Wi-Fi.

The app is completely free, but it requires you have Viper's SmartStart system installed in each car you want to take control of. This costs $499 for a new installation, or $299 for cars that already have a Viper alarm system, as well as an active subscription to Viper's Smart Start service. Buyers of the system get a year of the $29.99 service included when they get the service installed; then they have to pay after that.

I'm still waiting for a version that can give you live video and steering controls, like the ridiculous, yet awesome invisible Aston Martin Vanquish from "James Bond: Die Another Day." Though something tells me that's not happening anytime soon.

"

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-10373014-248.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    dadelor's Avatar Supercalafragalistic BT Rep: +4
    Thats cool. I can only imagine what this will lead to like remote control vehicles. that
    would be so cool like when youre at the store and dont feel like carrying all of your
    groceries to your car you can drive it to the front door via remote control.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I guess it could be useful if you locked your keys in your car.

I don't see the everyday usefulness though. When I have to get my keys out to start the ignition anyways, I don't see it as downside in having to press a button to unlock the car. Who wants to pull out their iPhone, unlock it, open the app, and then press a button?

yo

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    Quote Originally Posted by dadelor View Post
    Thats cool. I can only imagine what this will lead to like remote control vehicles. that
    would be so cool like when youre at the store and dont feel like carrying all of your
    groceries to your car you can drive it to the front door via remote control.
    this is why Americans are so fat

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm not fat. Quit being a overgeneralizing fuckwit.

yo

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I'm not fat. Quit being a overgeneralizing fuckwit.
    i'm not fat either but I see FAT people, like every day, know what I mean?

. . .being from tejas u should have 1st hand experience in this matter
    Last edited by beansis; 10-17-2009 at 09:25 PM.