Thread: Mac Drive

I use both a Windows PC and a Macbook computer, and have had trouble finding an External Hard Drive that I can use on both. I tried formatting the drive to Fat32, but that seems to only allow me to move files under 4GB onto the drive from my Mac, which is a bit of a problem when I download a ton of HD movies. I found out about a software called MacDrive, which allows me to format my Hard Drive to a Mac type, but it is also recognized on my PC. The problem is that the software is only a trial version, and I can't find a working serial number anywhere. I downloaded a serial maker for the software, but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know what I should do. ANybody have a working serial number, or a different solution of what I should format my Hard Drive to? Thanks for the help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Easier solution:
    Format the drive as NTFS
    Install NTFS-3G

I think there is also a way to mount NTFS as writeable with MacFUSE but I haven't looked into it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I use a Maxtor external HD, 250gb for $100, it works

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhead View Post
    I use a Maxtor external HD, 250gb for $100, it works
    I'm not even sure how the hell that is supposed to answer this guy's question

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Macdrive works well, as does formatting in NTFS and installing nsap's suggestion or Paragon, a faster commercial alternative, on os x.

But none of these solutions are great because HFS+ will be slow on the PC and NTFS will be slow on the mac. Formatting NTFS and installing Paragon will be the fastest, but still not what it should be.

If you want to use the drive mainly with the mac format HFS+, if mainly with the PC, format NTFS.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    batelray's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by the mighty View Post
    I use both a Windows PC and a Macbook computer, and have had trouble finding an External Hard Drive that I can use on both. I tried formatting the drive to Fat32, but that seems to only allow me to move files under 4GB onto the drive from my Mac, which is a bit of a problem when I download a ton of HD movies. I found out about a software called MacDrive, which allows me to format my Hard Drive to a Mac type, but it is also recognized on my PC. The problem is that the software is only a trial version, and I can't find a working serial number anywhere. I downloaded a serial maker for the software, but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know what I should do. ANybody have a working serial number, or a different solution of what I should format my Hard Drive to? Thanks for the help.
    the best is out now for both windows and mac osx its mybook check it out here its great for what your using it for i have one and i connected it to my friends windows based computer recognized it without a problem. so if you cant figure that out on macdrive buy this
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...A&mco=4D86F83C
    Last edited by batelray; 01-22-2008 at 10:45 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by batelray View Post
    the best is out now for both windows and mac osx its mybook check it out here its great for what your using it for i have one and i connected it to my friends windows based computer recognized it without a problem. so if you cant figure that out on macdrive buy this
    How exactly does buying a bigger hard drive fix the problem? I bet - no, scratch that - I guarantee - that the hard drive you have is formatted with FAT and that is why both Windows and OS X can use it.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or are you just trying to boost up that post count?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    batelray's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by batelray View Post
    How exactly does buying a bigger hard drive fix the problem? I bet - no, scratch that - I guarantee - that the hard drive you have is formatted with FAT and that is why both Windows and OS X can use it.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or are you just trying to boost up that post count?
    if your read my whole post i said that if he didnt get his other one fixed that this is a great hard drive to use it has a back up drive built in for both formats mac and windows based computer and it is a fat format. it has good backup software and comes with 10gb internet back site manager also.