Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brett Favre announces retirement

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    'Mentally tired' Favre tells Packers his playing career is over

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire.

"I know I can still play, but it's like I told my wife, I'm just tired mentally. I'm just tired," Favre, a 17-year veteran and three-time NFL MVP, told ESPN's Chris Mortensen in a voice mail message.

"If I felt like coming back -- and Deanna [his wife] and I talked about this -- the only way for me to be successful would be to win a Super Bowl. To go to the Super Bowl and lose, would almost be worse than anything else. Anything less than a Super Bowl win would be unsuccessful," Favre said in the message.

"I know it shouldn't feel unsuccessful, but the only way to come back and make that be the right decision would be to come back and win a Super Bowl. And honestly, the odds of that, they're tough. Those are big shoes for me to fill, and I guess it was a challenge I wasn't up for. "

Source : http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

---------------------
    It's as good a time as any I think; he had a great year last year.

The man is a legend though, and I'll no doubt miss watching him on Sundays.He was always one of my favorites...

-Most AP NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995, 1996, 1997)[65]
    -Most consecutive starts by a quarterback (NFL): 253[1] (275 including playoffs)
    -Most wins by a starting quarterback (NFL) regular season career: 160[1] (Regular season record: 160-93)
    -Most career passing touchdowns: 442 [66][67]
    -Most career passing yards: 61,655[66]
    -Most career pass completions: 5,377[68][1]
    -Most career pass attempts: 8,758[1][4][69]
    -Most career interceptions thrown: 288 [66][70]
    -Most career games with at least three touchdowns: 63 [46]

Favre holds the record for consecutive starts by a quarterback with 253. His streak ranks behind only Jim Marshall, who started 270 straight games.[1]

In the playoffs, Favre stands behind only Joe Montana in pass completions, passing touchdowns, passing yards and passing attempts.

In addition, Favre owns a number of team records, having printed his name into almost every passing category in the annals of Green Bay Packers history, most recently setting the team record for consecutive completions with 20 on November 22, 2007, against the Detroit Lions. [71] With 38 "come-from-behind" 4th quarter wins & 2 more overtime victories, Brett Favre is the Green Bay Packers record holder and second only to John Elway's 47 4th quarter or OT "come-back wins", in NFL history.

yo

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Sad but we all knew it was coming. Only question was whether it was this season or next. He's still way better than majority of the quarterbacks in this league which makes this even more painful for Packers fan, I presume.

What I'll miss most about him of course is his strong throwing arm. It was a sight to see how fast he slings that ball to the hands of the receiver. His durability didn't hurt either.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    i know he has just about every QB record out there, but to be honest, I would take Montana, Brady, or Unitas over Favre anyday.

Don't get me wrong, he is a great QB, just more of a top 5 guy IMHO. And, that ain't bad.
    Today is the day.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkBarMan View Post
    i know he has just about every QB record out there, but to be honest, I would take Montana, Brady, or Unitas over Favre anyday.

Don't get me wrong, he is a great QB, just more of a top 5 guy IMHO. And, that ain't bad.
    Brady is still relatively young and has a lot more career to show me what he's made of. Yes, he has made quite an impact in such a short time, but I would like to see how he measures up 10 yrs from now.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry View Post

Brady is still relatively young and has a lot more career to show me what he's made of. Yes, he has made quite an impact in such a short time, but I would like to see how he measures up 10 yrs from now.

Wow, 3 Super Bowls isn't enough???

I think our memories may be clouded by a recent game.

I would be bold enough to say that if he continues to go at the pace he is currently, then he'll go down as the best QB ever.
    Today is the day.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!

Wow, 3 Super Bowls isn't enough???

I think our memories may be clouded by a recent game.

I would be bold enough to say that if he continues to go at the pace he is currently, then he'll go down as the best QB ever.
    That's what I said before.

If he had won this SB, I would've been the best ever.

He would be in the company of Montana and Bradshaw but with better stats and records. He also would have undefeated associated with him.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda

Now Favre is definitely top 5. I don't put him over Brady though. He's simply not better than Brady. He does have 1 SB and numerous longevity/durability records though and I doubt Brady will get those....mainly due to Brady having achieved so much in so little time.

Favre gets in ,first shot, to the HOF. If he waits it's a travesty.

Many I have talked to have Montana as best of all time followed by Unitas then Brady (even over Bradshaw).

There is consensus though that Favre is not best of all time. Keep in mind too that Favre can stil change his mind.

I do hate that the last play of his career was an interception.

If he wins, let's say 2 more SB, he needn't play anymore. He'll have the most SBs (for a QB) in NFL history.

But yeah that's the scary thing. Brady has already had 4 SB appearances and 3 rings. He's almost a juggernaut that you have to keep down.

He's always the favorite.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 03-05-2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Something I wasn't aware of:

The Packers were the winningest team in the NFL for the duration of Favre's career.

Something else that never gets mentioned:

Bart Starr lost his very first playoff game with the Packers, then never lost another one.

He was MVP of the first two Super Bowls, which victories also finished the second and third straight NFL (pre-merger) championship seasons of '65, '66 and '67.

The Packers, with Starr, won 5 championships during the sixties, and there is no doubt whatsoever that, had the Super Bowl been played in any other of those years, Starr and the Packers would have six Lombardi trophies.

In anticipation of Busyman's imminent attempt at refutation of my supposition, I herewith add the prepositional "if" he requires.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    dedro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i like brett but time to go

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by dedro View Post
    i like brett but time to go
    How can you say that after the year he just had?

yo

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    saqib's Avatar Levels killing BT BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    damn it pissed my off

here's my appeal: don't let invites become a currency!
    ( courtesy .PolarBear )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast