Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP wont detect video card

I just got a Geforce 6200 128 MB video card for an old system. On boot-up it detects it and the monitor receives the signal fine but XP does not detect the card. I have tried removing all traces of any ATI/nVidia cards and even just finished a repair install to no sucess.

Nothing appears in Device Manager. It doesnt even list Display Adapter in Device Manager. I cant install the drivers because it says there is no recognized hardware and setup closes.

Anyone know how to fix this?
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaBoiy View Post
    I just got a Geforce 6200 128 MB video card for an old system. On boot-up it detects it and the monitor receives the signal fine but XP does not detect the card. I have tried removing all traces of any ATI/nVidia cards and even just finished a repair install to no sucess.

Nothing appears in Device Manager. It doesnt even list Display Adapter in Device Manager. I cant install the drivers because it says there is no recognized hardware and setup closes.

Anyone know how to fix this?
    Does it required additional power from the PSU?
    Is it in the AGP slot firmly?
    Do you have the latest NVidia driver?
    Does the fan spin on the card when powered up?

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Don't know for sure ,but drivers would be my guess . I'd try ,in Device Manager, " Update Drivers " ? Then when the wizard asks for drivers or the disk you have a better idea if it fails .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    @Skizo - No additional power is needed from card. It is in the AGP slot all the way. I have the latest drivers, also the disk that came with the card. No fan on the card.

@ peat moss - There is no Display Adapters option in device manager. Cant update the driver cause of this. Cant add the device manually.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    how was the computer running before, you should put it like that, get updated drivers for your new graphics card, then install the new hardware

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Global Jihad View Post
    how was the computer running before, you should put it like that, get updated drivers for your new graphics card, then install the new hardware
    It was running with an older nvidia graphics card. It didnt detect that one either.

Drivers wont do anything. Ive already tried the latest drivers.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Have you installed any motherboard chipset drivers? Anything to do with the AGP bus could be something to check.
    What about a BIOS update? Is yours the latest version and, if not, do later versions address compatibilty issues?
    Is the gfx card AGP8x and, if so, is this set in the BIOS? Some BIOSes have a setting to change between 2x & 4x/8x if the board supports all types.

Just a few things for you to chew over.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Is there a hidden display adapter?

To find out, go to device manager and select view/show hidden devices.
    If it (or another display adapter) is there, delete it then reboot.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I cant find any drivers for this POS motherboard. Its PCChips M811.

Everything is setup correct in the bios. Told device manager to show hidden items and nothing for display adatper.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Try disabling the onboard display card in BIOS and then maybe it will allow you to install the external display card without any issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast