Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latin as spacefiller in prototype Websites?

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Why do webdesigners use Latin as a space filler for prototype websites?

eg. http://www.oswd.org/design/preview/id/2998/

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Pellentesque turpis turpis, tempor at, convallis eu, ullamcorper ut, enim. In in nulla. Curabitur pretium facilisis lorem. Maecenas erat. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Duis aliquet tincidunt urna. Nullam eget eros. Morbi quis orci rhoncus enim pharetra blandit. In quis quam. Nullam et nisl. Quisque risus nunc, sollicitudin sit amet, eleifend at, lacinia non, metus. In nec orci. Praesent suscipit ipsum sed mi. Phasellus luctus egestas nisi. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Curabitur eu lectus. Phasellus id elit sollicitudin risus consequat convallis. Fusce vel lectus a turpis tincidunt pellentesque.
    Morbi sit amet elit. Mauris fermentum nibh sit amet eros. Vivamus varius porta arcu. Praesent consequat mi et purus. Proin rhoncus. Sed commodo tristique magna. Integer vitae dolor. In molestie, nibh sed dignissim faucibus, urna turpis ultricies arcu, et aliquam augue lacus eget libero. Maecenas nunc sapien, iaculis at, auctor vel, venenatis sed, elit. Nunc eu massa. Duis laoreet mi non lectus. Praesent tincidunt placerat risus. Nunc in orci quis augue rutrum pulvinar. Etiam lacus urna, eleifend in, porttitor at, molestie vitae, nunc. Sed dignissim. Maecenas eu risus. Etiam sollicitudin dui. Cras tincidunt sollicitudin sapien. Sed cursus rhoncus massa. Mauris molestie semper erat.
    They could just as easily use any other live language or countless words from any dictionary.
    My hypothesis derives "a strive for profoundness" as the final conclusion.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    rand (200,99)

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless

I dunno, but I had to design a site once and they gave me a latin site as a template for the styles.

I was like all, wtf

Apparently, it's been used for centuries

Many web designers use the long latin-looking passage starting with “Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua” or something similar. You can find it on webpage templates everywhere. I’m sure you’ve seen it (possibly even in Microsoft Word templates) or even used it yourself. But do you know what it means? Have you ever wondered?

It actually doesn’t mean much of anything. Lorem Ipsum is actually dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. It has been the industry’s standard dummy text ever since the 1500’s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived five centuries and the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with web design and desktop publishing.

Lorem Ipsum is not just random text, though. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words from a Lorem Ipsum passage and discovered the source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of “de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum” (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. The passage “Lorem ipsum …” is taken from text that reads, “Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit …,” which translates as, “There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain….”

Why is it used? It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page when looking at its layout. The point of using Lorem Ipsum is that it has a more-or-less normal distribution of letters, as opposed to using ‘Content here, content here’, making it look like readable English. Many web designers now use Lorem Ipsum as their default model text, and a google search for ‘lorem ipsum’ will give you results of many site templates and uncompleated sites. Various versions have evolved over the years, sometimes by accident, sometimes on purpose (injected humour and the like).

4. Lounge   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It's called lorem ipsum

Just an easy copy/paste space filler/tester.

At least that's what sparsely taught me.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post

I dunno, but I had to design a site once and they gave me a latin site as a template for the styles.

I was like all, wtf

Many web designers use the long latin-looking passage starting with “Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua” or something similar. You can find it on webpage templates everywhere. I’m sure you’ve seen it (possibly even in Microsoft Word templates) or even used it yourself. But do you know what it means? Have you ever wondered?

It actually doesn’t mean much of anything. Lorem Ipsum is actually dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. It has been the industry’s standard dummy text ever since the 1500’s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived five centuries and the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with web design and desktop publishing.

Lorem Ipsum is not just random text, though. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words from a Lorem Ipsum passage and discovered the source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of “de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum” (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. The passage “Lorem ipsum …” is taken from text that reads, “Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit …,” which translates as, “There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain….”

Why is it used? It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page when looking at its layout. The point of using Lorem Ipsum is that it has a more-or-less normal distribution of letters, as opposed to using ‘Content here, content here’, making it look like readable English. Many web designers now use Lorem Ipsum as their default model text, and a google search for ‘lorem ipsum’ will give you results of many site templates and uncompleated sites. Various versions have evolved over the years, sometimes by accident, sometimes on purpose (injected humour and the like).
    Yes Tesco Barbie has told us that,don't you read what other people post.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    It's called lorem ipsum

Just an easy copy/paste space filler/tester.

At least that's what sparsely taught me.
    Yeah, barbie said so already

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

7. Lounge   -   #7
    I always use it... good for seeing how sth looks with text in without just reaccurrances and it's a neat randomage.

Lorem Ipsum FTW

8. Lounge   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripper View Post

I was like all, wtf

Not in the lounge.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    You should always read my posts, each one is a priceless gem of information

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripper View Post

I was like all, wtf

I guess they think Latin is still cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast