Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A case of political "near-violence", I guess...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    http://politics.guardian.co.uk/north...956753,00.html

By golly, he almost upset the apple cart, didn't he?

Do I understand from this that terrorists who don't get the message become "loyalists"?

I didn't see the word "criminal" appear anywhere in the Guardian's reportage.

Will they take his arthritis medication off the market if it is shown to cause derangement giving rise to terrorist tendencies at all (at all).
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    If it's the same guy and I think it is he's as mad as a fucking snake.

He's out on licence on the early release program agreed in the Good Friday deal. He was serving about 700 years for various murders and attempted murders.

He's the guy who went to a funeral and attacked the people there with a handgun and grenades. No mask or fuck all, just walked in firing the gun.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Oh and loyalist means "loyal to the monarchy and parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" (my description)

It seems it doesn't extend to following it's laws or treaties.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    There is another one living in Troon, Ayrshire. He is nicknamed Mad Dog. It makes a farce of the law, that these killers are allowed to roam the streets with their heads held high.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    There is another one living in Troon, Ayrshire. He is nicknamed Mad Dog. It makes a farce of the law, that these killers are allowed to roam the streets with their heads held high.
    Kinda what I thought.

Glad to see some agreement.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    We have discussed this before. It's an end / means thing.

It is entirely unpallatable for this to happen and for these people to walk the streets. However without it the peace process could not have been moved forward. In the end the evil done, releasing them, is outwighed by the good achieved, a sustainable peace and a degree of self governance.

Bearing in mind that they are released on licence and that can be revoked without having to make application to a Court. I believe that Stone has returned to jail without passing go or collecting £200. However I could be wrong in that.

It is to be hoped that the good people of NI have seen enough of a near normal life that they will reject any moves made by people like him. That they will not feel obliged to follow the lead of mentalists, based on nothing but sectarian bigotry and irrational hatred.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Stone has appeared in court. His early release has been suspended and he must now serve his 630 year jail term.

I would be willing to bet he does not complete his sentence.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Stone has appeared in court. His early release has been suspended and he must now serve his 630 year jail term.

Both or either might have been his aim.

Is it worth knowing for sure?

I wonder at incidents like this, because I am well past any compulsion to analyze such behavior and see an appropriate use (not to push the thread off-track) for the death penalty here.

But that's just me, I'm sure.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Both or either might have been his aim.

Is it worth knowing for sure?

I wonder at incidents like this, because I am well past any compulsion to analyze such behavior and see an appropriate use (not to push the thread off-track) for the death penalty here.

But that's just me, I'm sure.
    It's not just you, however it isn't me.

The way Stone acts it is clear that he has no problem getting caught, like I said earlier he doesn't bother wearing any form of disguise when murdering people.

As you suggested that may in fact have been part of his plan, something to try to gather the other mentalists around him. There is no particular political way of doing it anymore. There is the NI Assembly now and it is dominated by the unionist and loyalist parties, so he attacks that in order to continue the sectarianism. That's a really loyalist way to behave.

It really does go to prove that hatred for others was their motivation, rather than support of their "own".

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Both sides in this conflict have a lot to answer for, the IRA was responsible for the deaths of over three thousand people, and their killers were released too, so it's really not all that unusual that a nutcase like Stone should try to murder Adams and McGuinness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast