Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Question

asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    The fan behind the radiator of a car. Isn't it suppose to stay on while the car is on? On my car it when were at a stop or have the car in park it keeps turning off and then back on. Plus when we went to park today the car broke down, but turned right back on when I turned the key.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    You stalled it.

'Broke down' :earl:
    Now go away.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by asmithz View Post
    The fan behind the radiator of a car. Isn't it suppose to stay on while the car is on? On my car it when were at a stop or have the car in park it keeps turning off and then back on. Plus when we went to park today the car broke down, but turned right back on when I turned the key.
    There's a thing called a sender in the cooling system. When it gets too hot the sender sends a signal to the fan and tells it to turn on. Otherwise the fan would be on all the time.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    When it's an electric fan the fan only comes on when the coolant is above a certain temp, like JPaul said.
    Fans connected directly to the engine are always spinning when the engine is running obviously.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    You stalled it.
    north americans don't drive manuals.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    You stalled it.
    north americans don't drive manuals.
    Now go away.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    When it's an electric fan the fan only comes on when the coolant is above a certain temp, like JPaul said.
    Fans connected directly to the engine are always spinning when the engine is running obviously.
    Oh my old car always had it on so I was confused. But if it turns it on when it is hot, then it is always hot because it keeps turning the fan off and on.

I checked the transmission fluid and it was at where it says hot. So what do I do?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

Transmission fluid stick says "hot" because that's where the level should be while it's hot.
    It probably also says cold which is where the fluid should be when it's cold.

You should check the coolant level, not the transmision fluid, if you're worried it's overheating.
    But your car should have a coolant temp sensor anyway which will either give you a reading of the temp or at least light a light when it gets so hot you shouldn't be driving...

The car's coolant is always supposed to be hot. Around 200F.
    The fan going on and off is normal while you're idling.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    So it was the coolant that was low. So I replaced it and filled it up. It's running well now. Bad news is, while I was doing that I noticed a hair line crack on the exhaust manifold, that was about 4-5inches long.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by asmithz View Post
    So it was the coolant that was low. So I replaced it and filled it up. It's running well now. Bad news is, while I was doing that I noticed a hair line crack on the exhaust manifold, that was about 4-5inches long.
    Don't worry, that's just mr.sharer's cawk.
    Now go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast