Thread: Pirate Bay Hit With DDoS Attack After "Selling Out"

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord

Laugh

Pirate Bay Hit With DDoS Attack After "Selling Out"
    8:01 AM - July 1, 2009 by Jane McEntegart

" Yesterday news hit that the four co-founders of The Pirate Bay were selling the site to Global Gaming Factory X AB for nearly $7.8 million and users didn’t exactly bow down to their new leaders.

The vast majority of users think that the sales represents a sell out on behalf of The Pirate Bay co-founders who have been bogged down with legal battles for months. Sentenced to a year each in prison and ordered to pay upwards of $3 million in fines, many regular users of The Pirate Bay think that this is a “take the money and run” solution for Fredrik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, Peter Sunde and Carl Lundström.

Further fueling speculation that the deal was a death knell for TPB, the site was down for long periods of time yesterday. Some figured it was because the site was getting so many hits in light of the news and others assumed it was TPB shutting down. In fact, it was a DDoS attack from disappointed users.

Spokesperson for the group Peter Sunde confirmed via his Twitter that yesterday that the reason for the down time was a DDoS. In response to one user who asked if a DDoS attack was why he couldn’t access the site, Sunde replied, “Yup, DDoS. Understand the people doing it as well. I hope people will calm down and understand what it means logically instead...”

Unfortunately, Sunde wasn’t as calm and understanding throughout the day. Tweets from his Twitter account rang from, “We've been asking people to open more trackers, nothing happens.We've been fighting for five years. Where's the thanks?” to “#spectrial is still a spectacle and we need all the support we can get. I f**king cried earlier that people don't understand us.”

Do you think the founders selling The Pirate Bay is a sell out or do you think they’re really looking for help to continue fighting? "

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pir...-Out,8173.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    There is no viable business model for file sharing. If corporate interest want to pay for the site name, that is ok with me. Any money invested in this "new model" will be lost quickly anyway.

This sale really won't have much of an effect on the community although I do not want to see the record industry get a penny of the "fines". And I do not want to see a precedent for legal action against other torrent sites- especially since the tactics used to obtain that "verdict" were so disgusting.

The TPB crew has done an outstanding job of fighting for file sharing and bringing international attention to the corruption of the MPAA and the RIAA and their tactics. They have also taunted huge corporations for years- much to our entertainment.

How many of us would have fought such overwhelming forces for so long? It may be that TPB is out of options or they are just too tired to keep fighting. I don't think it is right to turn our backs on our heroes (and I think they have earned that title over the years)so quickly.

TPB has never charged their members for anything they have done, nor have they asked for anything from the community.

I will leave it up to the community to decide if selling the site name is acceptable. I do know that they have done a lot and I still admire them for what they have done.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Dont think they sold out at all who wouldnt sell it for 7.8m, especially after they were found guilty at trial there fines were like $3.5 so after they come out of jail they will have a nice 4.3m profit. Good business in my eyes.
    Last edited by Villalltheway; 07-01-2009 at 04:33 PM.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    If I had the chance to sell a fucking website for almost eight million, I would have done it too. It wouldn't be possible for me to care any less if a bunch of kiddies on the internet would call me a sell out. Give me the chance to become a millionaire, and I'll take it in a heart beat.

I'm honestly surprised it took the TPB guys this long to sell. I would have done it for the first substantial offer that was thrown at me...

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    $SnoopDo2G$'s Avatar Don Doggy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    yeah same here Funkin', but right now they have to deal with DDoS,
    not sure if the guys that are buyin' it would like that DDoS continuing after ahahah
    they might retract they offer... lol would be too bad for those owners.

But if the deal can't be retracted well the TPB owners got it right ahahah
    sellin' a site that is gonna be hacked all day everyday

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    harshytkage's Avatar Tarders BEWARE! BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by $SnoopDo2G$ View Post
    yeah same here Funkin', but right now they have to deal with DDoS,
    not sure if the guys that are buyin' it would like that DDoS continuing after ahahah
    they might retract they offer... lol would be too bad for those owners.

But if the deal can't be retracted well the TPB owners got it right ahahah
    sellin' a site that is gonna be hacked all day everyday
    weren't you the guy who was just claiming that the owners of TPB were scaredy cats for sellin it off?now you agree with funkin here?

jk jk!
    Spoiler: Show

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    newsgroupie
    I think that Peter Sunde once said something like they would keep the site up and running no matter what, even if they end up in jail.

He was full of tough talk and defiance in public ... meanwhile he was secretly shopping TPB to the highest bidder.

I want to know what will happen to the $30 thousand dollars (plus interest) that people donated for buying Sealand?

Will everyone get a refund?

Or will it be like so many other torrent/P2P sites that collect a treasure chest in donations for a cause? - as in "so long, suckers!"

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by harshytkage View Post

weren't you the guy who was just claiming that the owners of TPB were scaredy cats for sellin it off?now you agree with funkin here?

jk jk!
    Well, if they sold the site because they were "scared", then I don't know what I would think of that either... I think in this P2P world you gotta take a stand against the ones that try and shut us down. Not only in this subject though, you should stand up for anything that you strongly believe in or love. In my opinion at least...

But if they sold it simply to get rich, I see nothing wrong with that at all. I mean seriously, you have to be mentally ill if you don't want to be rich.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Long John Silver
    Well you can't blame them wanting to pa off a 3.5m fine! I'd sell out too lol. No amount of internet backslaps can make up for a real b*tchslap in some prison cell!

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Villalltheway View Post
    Dont think they sold out at all who wouldnt sell it for 7.8m, especially after they were found guilty at trial there fines were like $3.5 so after they come out of jail they will have a nice 4.3m profit. Good business in my eyes.
    Selling out is generally good business..
    Last edited by TrueSounds; 07-02-2009 at 05:36 AM.