Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you install an app in Linux?

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I have PCLinuxOS-2007. Comes with 2 browsers. But not my beloved Opera. I dl'd a linux Opera & am clueless how to install. Lft clk, rt clk, extract here there everywhere.

I also want to install free BitDefender for Linux.

So how do I install Opera? And BD?

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    pclinux should have synaptic installed. It can be used to grab and install software.
    here.

also bitdefender probably isnt needed unless your using this machine as a mail server for windows machines.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    How do I scan my Linux partition then? All the online scanners I know don't work in Linux. I tried like 6-8 of them.

I just want to make sure I'm malware free. I was running online without a stealthed firewall for about a day.

Thanks.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    as far as i know there is next to no malware for linux. the problem your running across i bet is the fact firefox or whatever browser your using is being run as a user and any system files will need root access to read.

I really would not worry its not windows viri, trojans and malware are not common place yet.

and oh yeah you had a firewall (iptables) running all the time from the moment you installed linux.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I got my Opera running. Thank good it's available through synaptic.

And for me Opera is still the best even in Linux!

And I just want more control. I want to know how to scan my OS.

Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    ...and oh yeah you had a firewall (iptables) running all the time from the moment you installed linux.
    Cool! Didn't see this, thanks.

I still want to be able to scan though.
    Last edited by zapjb; 06-05-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Have a look in synaptic for clamav as an antivirus even though its meant for scanning emails destined for windows machines.

if your really paranoid try looking into snort its meant to be the ids of choice.

As far as i know there are no spyware scanners for linux.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Then how does one know 100% their Linux OS is clean.

After risky net surfing etc.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    you really cant with any operating system. Its impossible to confirm windows is completely malware free. there are rootkits out now that cannot be removed even if you tried and no spyware scanner will every remove all spyware.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Linux distributions are far less vulnerable to virus/worm infections and malware for two reasons, first most hackers like Linux so why would they attack it ? second of all most of the vulnerabilites which are exploited are specific to the Windows operating system and in particular the Internet Explorer browser which sadly 90% of users still use. But as for securing your Linux distro , you should install the chkrootkit tool to defend against the 52 known rootkit exploits in Linux (woooooh), and my personal favorite for a virus scanner for Linux is Avast antivirus 4 for workstation linux, I don't personally think alot of clamav (or klamav). Finally when you installed your distro iptables was installed by default you can simply install a graphical interface for IPTables and have complete control of your firewall. I find firestarter to be the best interface for new users to use to control the Linux firewall.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    This worked
    Install Avast:

Register to get your key

Download Avast RPM, right click> open with Kpackage> install

At some point it'll ask for the key, I don't remember if its during install or the next step I list....

Open Konsole and type avastgui, hit enter, update Avast

To add Avast icon to task bar (kicker, panel) right click on kicker> unlock> Add application to panel> Add Non-KDE application.

Now to configure the Avast launcher:

Button title= Avast
    Description= AntiVirus
    Executable= /usr/bin/avastgui

Now next to the Button title you'll see a box with picture, click it and icon data base will popup, choose the Avast icon, click ok and it'll be in your kicker panel.

You should be set to go
    I use FireStarter also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast