Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Death penalty for white-collar crime?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I'm thinking Bernie Madoff and the like, like.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    No one knows who he is?

He's ruined many, perhaps thousands of lives, and damaged many more by thieving their entire retirement/investment nest-eggs.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...dzw&refer=home
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster
    Did he kill anyone?
    Better let's do it Iran style, let's take everything he has and make him homeless.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    What would be the point in killing him though? What's your motivation?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    He's ruined many, perhaps thousands of lives, and damaged many more by thieving their entire retirement/investment nest-eggs.
    By that arguement we'd have to execute just about all politicians too.

I'm in.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    me too

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    IMO, death penalty never, for no crime, but I'm a European and the values are a little different here, so...
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Just read something interesting in the paper today, that the death penalty (in the US, obviously), is about 10 times more expensive than sending said person away for life imprisonment...

Reason being, that after the sentence is given, a person on death-row in California waits an approx. 20 YEARS until he is finally executed, which costs the tax payer roughly 50 million USD per person.

So, maybe it's just best to change the system entirely, so that people who have been found definitely guilty of first-class murder, should be given the sentence by a larger panel of judges, and not have the opportunity to question the sentencing, so said person is executed immediately, while people who are found guilty for the same thing (yet with questionable evidence), or for other things like rape, second-class murder, etc. should be simply sent to life imprisonment? Would save a headache and the ridiculous time people wait for their sentence to be undertaken...
    Last edited by tralalala; 03-10-2009 at 05:52 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    ry-the-guy
    Is this a serious question? I mean, I have yet to form an opinion one way or the other on the death penalty, but certainly it should never be used for white collar crimes...

Also, interesting point about the cost tralalala - I never would have guessed it would be more expensive to execute someone than to imprison them for life. I still don't understand why, but I'll take your word for it.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    IMO, death penalty never, for no crime, but I'm a European and the values are a little different here, so...
    I feel the same, to be honest i think letting people die is a kop out, think it be way more of a punishment for people stay in jail for the rest of their life.
    Last edited by Villalltheway; 03-10-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast