Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Does This Ability Require Normal or Above Average Intelligence?

chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cicero View Post

By a process of elimination based on tense "wrist is" as opposed to a past tense, addiction is out of the pool. Eliminating based on verb "wrist is" as opposed to "wrist did" you can easily disregard the breaking the habit part.

I gave Idol the benefit of the doubt, and assumed his grammar isn't up to the level it needs to be add to avoid ambiguity, though. We can't expect change overnight.
    If Snee's approach to grammar is a laser guided Carlos the Jackal sniper rifle with extra lasers mounted on the laser attachment, then Idol is the Gatling gun.

He knows he's missing, he knows your retinae are going to be torn to shreds, he knows he can take his 642CT out of his man-bag and hit the bullseye each time.
    Idol just likes to spray it around
    Let me just break it to the downs, Darthy.

In a roundabout fashion, he's intimating that despite your grandstanding, you're ultimately an exceptionally boring kinda guy.

2. Lounge   -   #112
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeams
    I do agree with the first paragraph. However, I think the church as an altruistic organisation could have a place in an advanced society such as ours. It's quite a fanciful notion, though, as its administrators will usually find a way to reward themselves disproportionately.

I take no issue at all with the majority of the teachings of the new testament. As a mission statement for a charitable organisation, it's as decent as any you might find elsewhere and remarkable for its far reaching objectives. Likewise I actually think that Mary1 and Mary2 helping their community out by donating their time, money or expertise to their local church is a particularly good thing in and of itself. As you point out though, they are helping indirectly to sustain organised religion - which is something that keeps me from doing the same thing.

It's only a personal point of view though. I think more of them now that I know they do it, even if I prefer to help my own community in a different way.
    I don't know how organised religion could ever have a place in an advanced society. I'd be interested to hear your reasons why you think it could.

I agree with you about the New Testament - but it falls into line with what I was saying about religion being instigated as a system of governance. You want your population to stop eating measly pork and being generally unpleasant, but the problem is how are you going to tell them (they can't read), and how will you coerce them? Answer is shout it at them every Sunday/whatever heathen day it is for your chosen religion, and fabricate the concepts of heaven and hell. It's fantastic in its simplicity and effect. I don't know about you but I pretty much live by the ten commandments by choice now, not through fear of a pit full of fire, pointy sticks and Melanie Phillips raping me up the bum with a strap-on made of pure hatred. My dad said to me when I was little 'you don't have to believe Jesus was the son of God but if you follow his teachings you'll be alright', and I've tried to aim for that in as secular a way as I can.
    I don't recall my parents ever mentioning the bible, in fact the realisation that the bible wasn't just a ridiculous piece of literature and that Jesus was a real chap with some good ideas only became apparent to me at about 23 or 24.

So. This is how I think it could work:

Brands are everything and like it or not, the church is a powerful brand which inspires trust in many people. No other charitable organisation is in a position to do as much good as the church is if only it was properly run.

I wouldn't have any problem at all with them continuing their sermons and offering spiritual advice to those that felt they needed it but how it could really fit in is if the spiritual side of it married properly with pragmatic assistance of a tangible sort to victims of our advanced society.
    If the church branched out properly and provided, for example, rehabilitation for drug addicts or near to free childcare for single parents between nine and five or solace for battered wives or temporary accommodation for the homeless on a large scale, then it could positively and enormously benefit the community and the economy.

To do this its objectives would have to change considerably. It would have to be properly administered and it would need to report and be accountable to the local council initially and Downing Street as a national entity. I envisage tax payers partially funding these schemes after several years of managing to be self-sufficient. Due to it already being completely trusted as an entity by so many, the lion's share of the funding would come from a suggested donation level in return for use of its services. Some would abuse this but most would see the good it's doing and temper their financial reciprocation accordingly.

I could definitely write loads, but that would be akin to anaesthesia.
    Suffice is to say that the church has the potential to be a veritable benevolent behemoth that would fit quite nicely into an advanced society and help sticking-plaster many of its inevitable wounds.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #113
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    tl;dr
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Lounge   -   #114
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I just read you in the atheist thread. You'd start talking about god being real because hope is real or something equally girly or gay or worse.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

5. Lounge   -   #115
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    What I think churches should do today...
    Isn't the Catholic church the richest international organization in the world? How about it starts doing all that shit without accepting any more donations? They could hold financially for at least several decades I think.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

6. Lounge   -   #116
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Isn't the Catholic church the richest international organization in the world?
    They're only rich in non-liquid assets like land ownership. Sure they can sell the land, but then they'd lose the opportunity to expand or collect lease should they ever require to do so in the future.
    The fear of irrelevance.

Ellipses go here.

7. Lounge   -   #117
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I don't know how rich it is or how liquid its assets are, but that isn't the point.

It has to be sustainable or it's shit.
    Having said that, donating some of its property portfolio and selling off a few chattels that only hardcore religious cognoscenti have heard of would help with all the setting up.

8. Lounge   -   #118
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I just read you in the atheist thread. You'd start talking about god being real because hope is real or something equally girly or gay or worse.
    I didn't think there was anything worse than being girly or gay.
    Also for future reference I don't mean most of the stuff I say here ,the above sentence and anything hateful being the obviously exceptions.
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. Lounge   -   #119
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeams

I don't know how organised religion could ever have a place in an advanced society. I'd be interested to hear your reasons why you think it could.

I agree with you about the New Testament - but it falls into line with what I was saying about religion being instigated as a system of governance. You want your population to stop eating measly pork and being generally unpleasant, but the problem is how are you going to tell them (they can't read), and how will you coerce them? Answer is shout it at them every Sunday/whatever heathen day it is for your chosen religion, and fabricate the concepts of heaven and hell. It's fantastic in its simplicity and effect. I don't know about you but I pretty much live by the ten commandments by choice now, not through fear of a pit full of fire, pointy sticks and Melanie Phillips raping me up the bum with a strap-on made of pure hatred. My dad said to me when I was little 'you don't have to believe Jesus was the son of God but if you follow his teachings you'll be alright', and I've tried to aim for that in as secular a way as I can.
    I don't recall my parents ever mentioning the bible, in fact the realisation that the bible wasn't just a ridiculous piece of literature and that Jesus was a real chap with some good ideas only became apparent to me at about 23 or 24.

So. This is how I think it could work:

Brands are everything and like it or not, the church is a powerful brand which inspires trust in many people. No other charitable organisation is in a position to do as much good as the church is if only it was properly run.

I wouldn't have any problem at all with them continuing their sermons and offering spiritual advice to those that felt they needed it but how it could really fit in is if the spiritual side of it married properly with pragmatic assistance of a tangible sort to victims of our advanced society.
    If the church branched out properly and provided, for example, rehabilitation for drug addicts or near to free childcare for single parents between nine and five or solace for battered wives or temporary accommodation for the homeless on a large scale, then it could positively and enormously benefit the community and the economy.

To do this its objectives would have to change considerably. It would have to be properly administered and it would need to report and be accountable to the local council initially and Downing Street as a national entity. I envisage tax payers partially funding these schemes after several years of managing to be self-sufficient. Due to it already being completely trusted as an entity by so many, the lion's share of the funding would come from a suggested donation level in return for use of its services. Some would abuse this but most would see the good it's doing and temper their financial reciprocation accordingly.

I could definitely write loads, but that would be akin to anaesthesia.
    Suffice is to say that the church has the potential to be a veritable benevolent behemoth that would fit quite nicely into an advanced society and help sticking-plaster many of its inevitable wounds.
    I didn't read that. Not a word.

However I respect that you took the time to write it, you knob, you.

10. Lounge   -   #120
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yes. I'm conveniently ignoring all the different branches of the church that wouldn't merge to form this super-benevolent organisation.

I'm looking past that, I can't believe you brought it up, actually.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast