Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've had it with Kaskersky and NOD32

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    For reasons beyond me, some sort of conflict has arisen between Kaspersky and Linksys (also Netgear, I guess) as well as Charter and other ISPs.

I recently did a Vlite reinstall on my PC, and when I reinstalled KIS 7, I wasn't able to re-enter the serial key - as in, I put the cursor in the box, but can't enter any characters.

All kinds of fucking around; no dice.

What's more, I can't access the Kaspersky website:

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

I then go to the Kaspersky forum to find out wtf, and am treated to all kinds of "try this/that work-around, if that doesn't work, try this..."

On top of that, I've purchased three different licenses for NOD32 (my laptop, my father, and my daughter), and, while it works super (so does the Kaspersky, for that matter), the validation/activation process sucks donkey-dick.

This is seriously off-putting, especially since they're not pirated versions - I bought them.

I have therefore decided to toss them for free stuff, and have chosen Comodo as my new firewall (it castrates crickets, but it works, and at least I won't be paying for the pain it causes me).

I haven't doped out an AV prog yet, though I am leaning toward Avast, which, I have heard, mates nicely with Vista.

I am open to suggestions, but only until my trial license for KIS runs out.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Avast is a solid choice as it has really improved lately.
    Personally I would go with Avira it's detection rate is a little better but not enought to really matter.Both of these a good and light.
    You could also try BitDefender but it will suck the life out of your computer.
    Just avoid AVG detection isn't up to par.
    And yeah Comodo is a bitch to configure but nothing does the job better.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Hi Kev

I use Avast with Windows XP. It is great if you follow it's advice, which I ignored and lost everything. Now I have lost Admin priveleges and it works great.

I know someone who owns an IT company and they use Avast with Vista.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Avast is a solid choice as it has really improved lately.
    Personally I would go with Avira it's detection rate is a little better but not enought to really matter.Both of these a good and light.
    You could also try BitDefender but it will suck the life out of your computer.
    Just avoid AVG detection isn't up to par.
    And yeah Comodo is a bitch to configure but nothing does the job better.
    I sure don't want my PC's life to be sucked out - I was married to one of those things...bad news.

I'll check out Avira, then choose.

Thanks for the tip; always nice to have my conclusions confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Hi Kev

I use Avast with Windows XP. It is great if you follow it's advice, which I ignored and lost everything. Now I have lost Admin priveleges and it works great.
    Only you, buddy.

Nonetheless, a powerful testament.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I know someone who owns an IT company and they use Avast with Vista.
    That's what I want to hear.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I've been using Avast together with Comodo for well over a year now, I reckon. Never had any issues with them working together.

Biggest hurdle thus far was having to make rules for Comodo for a couple of apps to work, even though I'd set them as trusted and all that jazz. Oh, and both Avast's network defense and Comodo have managed to interfere with other computers transfering files on an intranet between eachother, and some stuff like that, but solving that's just a matter of sorting out what you want to be trusted.

Dunno if that helps, but.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-04-2008 at 09:53 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    I've been using Avast together with Comodo for well over a year now, I reckon. Never had any issues with them working together.

Biggest hurdle thus far was having to make rules for Comodo for a couple of apps to work, even though I'd set them as trusted and all that jazz. Oh, and both Avast's network defense and Comodo have managed to interfere with other computers transfering files on an intranet, and some stuff like that, but solving that's just a matter of sorting out what you want to be trusted.

Dunno if that helps, but.
    What, you think your vote doesn't count.

Well, then.

I may be stayed for a short time in choosing between Avira and Avast (the installers are both on my desktop begging to be my choice; I am relying on the board to arbitrate)...decisions, decisions...

-Mark Twain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    sert's Avatar t r e s BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Avira internet security is what you need

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Strange that you are having problems with NOD32, I don't have any problems with ESS Smart Security.
    It always updates without problems and there are still 40-odd years till the trial period expires.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Strange that you are having problems with NOD32, I don't have any problems with ESS Smart Security.
    It always updates without problems and there are still 40-odd years till the trial period expires.
    Yeah, I know, but I need a few "normal" business expenses, and it's nice to have some software purchases to claim.

It really does bother me that the first time I used NOD32 was off the Indego post-installer; it validated easily and worked so well I swore I'd never switch.

I used three successive versions of it with absolutely no problem, then I started actually purchasing them.

I guess that was my mistake.

-Mark Twain

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    惡魔的提倡者
    The Kaskersky site works fine for me..

I often wonder if a comparison was made, which would come off as the most annoying/damaging to computers or headache inducing to their users - the viruses or the programs designed to prevent them.
    The ire I've had In the past when simply upgrading versions of Norton and McAfee (paid for cd's)

This particular machine came with "Trend Micro PC-chillin" Internet security (home use) installed. I have to say I've had no problems with it at all (so far). I'm running Vista (yeah I know). http://us.trendmicro.com/us/home/
    Of course I haven't tried re-installing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast