Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Save The May Tree in your Back Garden...

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    In a place I love so dearly, a local furniture business family, Pullingers, has applied for an application to fell this ancient landmark, at Hayling Island in Hampshire... The MayTree.

Should "we"continue to allow this sort of wanten destruction of our nature; you may also easily say heritage! It's happening all around you, bit by bit.

It's in your back-garden.

*I heard a Robin might not be able to rear his family in it this year, and then if it snows, and there is no Robin to hide his head under his wing, poor thing, then what do we do then?

http://www.hayling.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4712

Let them hear and see what the Lounge Wolves, think !

2. Lounge   -   #2
    ..ermm have to try a different gambit ..but what..ah I know

Piss Pole, free, only for Alfa Lounge Wolves..erm.. been used frequently by many passers-by, many of whom were female...

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    There's no nature disappearing from around me

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo View Post
    There's no nature disappearing from around me
    Nature only disappears from around what is natural.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    The maytree in my front garden is as enduring as it always was... no theft here.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I have a hornbeam that I am not allowed to chop down. True Story.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    The maytree in my front garden is as enduring as it always was... no theft here.

...As I still have Barbarossa on ignore, and he is likely to remain there the rest of this week, I will answer you MagicNakor! That's because you care, not because it's protected or any other long fisherman's story. I just know it.

Of course I have an idea!! We make a contest for the most attractive May Tree in blossom, post it here as an image..

Then regarding all the rest, we just chop em all down and drop them at his address at North Hayling Island, or deliver it straight to the front door of his shop in Elm Grove...or better still, his furniture making wood-shop.! That's how thoughtful we are. We could even rig a webcam up, so all the world can share it's glory..
    Last edited by thewizeard; 05-01-2007 at 09:07 AM.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I'll have to see if it's flowered yet. No real point taking a picture otherwise...that tree has an amazing amount of blossoms. Tourists take pictures of it, which is weird because you can look into the house.

And there is a story: it's one of the trees my grandma has decided to protect. She was an avid gardener, and frequently pointed out her favourites with the phrase, "If anyone cuts my <favourite tree> down, I'm coming back to haunt them!"

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    I'll have to see if it's flowered yet. No real point taking a picture otherwise...that tree has an amazing amount of blossoms. Tourists take pictures of it, which is weird because you can look into the house.

And there is a story: it's one of the trees my grandma has decided to protect. She was an avid gardener, and frequently pointed out her favourites with the phrase, "If anyone cuts my <favourite tree> down, I'm coming back to haunt them!"

..erm..bless her heart.

This might actually be a good idea. Perhaps someone could climb into the tree some moonless night and place a few loudspeakers... connected to my Internet radio station...

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Maytrees are interesting trees and are also called Hawthorn.

Maypoles and trees - Trees have been linked to a part of celebration, perhaps, to the days ancient New Year rites. The association of trees to this celebration has come riding on the back of the spring festival in ancient Europe. Trees have always been the symbol of the great vitality and fertility of nature and were often used at the spring festivals of antiquity. The anthropologist E. O. James finds a strong relationship between the ancient tree related traditions of the British and the Romans. According to James' description, as a part of the May Day celebration, the youths in old Europe cut down a tree, lopped off the branches leaving a few at the top. They then wrapped it round with violets like the figure of the Attis, the ancient Roman god. At sunrise, they used to take it back to their villages by blowing horns and flutes. In a similar manner, the sacred pine tree representing the god Attis was carried in procession to the temple of Cybele on Rome's Palatine Hill during the Spring Festival of March 22.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast