Thread: What is an IRC channel?

nickw1988's Avatar FST Xtreme User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Hi, What is an IRC channel? and how do i get into 1 and what is it for?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    http://www.mirc.com/irc.html ..evrything u need to know..

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Dahg's Avatar King of the BBQ
    much like you would use a torrent client to get files, you can use an irc client in the same way - its also used for live chat... thats mainly what it is , chat rooms can handle ALOT of people in it.. I used to use it for advertising my ftp site and for getting ftp sites a long time ago - to xfer files.. but now I use torrents.. easier, more managable IMHO

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    nickw1988's Avatar FST Xtreme User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    OK i Got into mirc etc now just wondering what are some popular channels e.g bitmetv oink FTN SCT anything

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    BANNED BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    is there an irc for this site?
    thx

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    bcpnikhil's Avatar FTN Lover BT Rep: +2
    @nickw:
    try /server irc.p2p-network.net
    then /list

it should bring up a list of channels on that server. i usually hang out on the chronictracker or bit-hdtv channels

irc.oink.me.uk is oink's server, and i believe theres a bunch of channels on there. again, /list should solve your issues

www.nnscript.de is a really nice script to install with your copy of mIRC

i believe the ScT channel is passcode enabled, meaning that you basically have to be a member at that site to go to the IRC channel. If you're a member, go look on their forums (i'm sure it's posted somewhere--i'm not a member there though)

As for FTN, good question :-)

Actually, it'd be kinda cool if there was a sticky with all the IRC servers/channels for each tracker listed. I'm gonna start a thread for it...

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    i have gotten that far but how do i now what is torrent irc channels?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bcpnikhil View Post
    @nickw:
    then /list

it should bring up a list of channels on that server. i usually hang out on the chronictracker or bit-hdtv channels

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Ivanov's Avatar BitTorrent Addict BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    If you want just to talk with ppl and find new friends ->
    /server irc.bgit.net
    /join #gyuvetch
    /join #bulgaria
    “For her, yeah. At the end of the day, it's all about her. It's always been about her."

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by nickw1988 View Post
    i have gotten that far but how do i now what is torrent irc channels?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bcpnikhil View Post
    @nickw:
    then /list

Torrent site channels will ussually have the Sites name as the channel name. They ussually also have the topic set to something along the lines of..
    "Site Currently Up"