Thread: Which linux distro should i choose for a seedbox?

hi

im wondering which linux distro i should choose for running a dedicated seedbox?

could anyone offer advice on this please?

thanks

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    whatever distro you're most comfortable with

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    whatever distro you're most comfortable with
    i am not experienced with linux, but my job used to be a solaris unix admin, so im sure i will get to grips with linux quite quickly.

i want to go with linux to save money and not have to pay a monthly fee for a windows license.

i just dont know which distro to pick, for example, vectoral offers several different linux options.

i plan to install the linux i choose on my laptop first to learn how to set up the seedbox, and then when i understand how to install and get running torrentflux (for example) or perhaps rtorrent, then i will order my seedbox with that version of linux.

i was thinking about going with ubuntu.

i would like to run beryl too at home.

cheers

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    FC6 is easy to manage, and there's a nice guide here on the guides section for you to follow:
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...through-169620

(it doesn't really matter that the guide is meant to be for leeware, if you have FC6 it will work for you)

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    for a server to use on a seedbox the easy distro to configure and run is fedora core . I have configured Linux seedboxes using fedora, debian sarge and ubuntu, and to get everything up and going quickly fedora is the simplest.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    rvt's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I'm starting to like centos minimal. No need to download 6 DVDs for install on a local machine, and it's based on RHEL so you get yum and some nice init tools. I used to be a debian fan, but they are too slow with "stable" packages and your system can get in a real mess using "testing" packages.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    cheers guys.

one last question.

can i run beryl on fedora core? id like that to be my GUI on my home machine.

edit: found answer, FC does support beryl, think i will choose FC then.
    Last edited by Unstable1; 09-17-2007 at 04:33 AM.