Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSODs and other problem.

Poster
    In the last day or so, I've gotten BSODs. Twice when leaving my system idle with bittorrent open, and a few times trying to burn a high-data DVD (the same file)

As the BSOD comes up, all I can make out is "Memory Mangement" before I get a reboot.

I also get lock-ups ocassionally, where the process light on my tower will stop flickering and remain still until I hit the three-finger salute a couple of times. This snaps the system out of it's lock-up and opens the process manager where nothing seems out of place.

Before the problems started, AVG Email scanner reported that a connection from the UK was trying to connect...Freaked me out, so I restarted my system. However, I've left my system running through the night with Bitlord open to finish a download, the next day I'd find that either Bitlord had shut down, or the system had crashed and restarted...I'm going to need to burn DVDs to meet a deadline by the end of the week, so I seriously hope this problem doesn't persist. Any suggestions?

I've taken "Auto Restart" off, so next time I get the BSOD, I'll be able to transscribe the error message.

I ran a Microsoft Memory Diagnostic with 7 passes and there was no error.

But still problems. Burning a DVD in Nero, things are fine up until 50% and then the program just exits. Nero is still open, but the actual burning window just closes and the DVD is stuck in the drive until I reboot and eject it.

I tried burning a DVD again in Padus Disc Juggler. Got to 52%, the the cache went down to 0% and I got a lock-up. Ctrl-alt-deleted it and it started up again, got a further 1% before I got a BSOD and:

Stop: 0x000000024

and then under that NTFS.sys

I'm beginning to think it's a HD problem. I have 2 harddrives, one of them just for media (music, movies, TV series' etc) and I've realized that when using Bitorrent, it was downloading to this drive and when I burnt DVDs, the data was from that drive.

If this is the case, what can I do? Do I need a new HD?

Please note that my other HD is partitioned, 50gb for Windows XP and other programs and another 150GB for my video editing software and video footage. I seriously cannot afford to format that drive because I have a deadline to meet and can't lose all the software and video....It would take too long to capture and reinstall software. The Media drive which I think is the problem, can be formatted. Would this help? Would a Chkdsk help too?
    Last edited by Vamp; 04-24-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Sys specs?

Guessing I'd say not enough, bad or program(s) stealing RAM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    AMD 3400+ 64bit
    1gig DDRram
    Geforce 6800 Ultra

This system has worked flawlessly for two years. I took it to a PC garage, hopefully they can sort it out.

From what I've gathered on other sites, it's a corrupt NTFS system. I hope my data on that drive can be restored. 32gb of unbacked up music being lost would be very horrible.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What software changes had you made around the time this started happening? Any driver updates or similar?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I reverted to the nVidia drivers I'd be using for a few months after new ones I installed failed to impress me, but this was a few days before the problem started. I'm waiting to hear back from PC technicians, hopefully the NTFS system on the one drive got corrupted and can be fixed without new hardware or formatting.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    I'm waiting to hear back from PC technicians, hopefully the NTFS system on the one drive got corrupted and can be fixed without new hardware or formatting.
    You could try a repair with the windows CD, it'll replace all the system files and leave all your programs and files alone. I did that when I had problems after messing around with drivers and having a bsod every time I booted up. I couldn't even get into safe mode so I had no choice.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    It was a NTFS corruption on my Media drive. Technician managed to backup all my stuff and formatted it. Everything is working fine now. (So far)

Only cost the same as $7
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    It was a NTFS corruption on my Media drive. Technician managed to backup all my stuff and formatted it. Everything is working fine now. (So far)

Only cost the same as $7
    Only $7? Could you explain? I.e. a friend, 3rd world, etc.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    It cost about 100 rand which is about a third of the price of a new PC game or about 9 or so beers. So it's not exactly cheap, but not very expensive either...Plus the Rand/Dollar exchange rate is pretty shit.

It would have been about the same as 4 UK pounds.

While the blue screen/crashing problem is fixed, I'm still getting those random lock-ups, where the flickering light on my tower (hard drive access light?) will freeze and my system will hang. It will eventually snap out of it after about 20 seconds and hitting ctrl-alt-del a few times without having to restart or shutting down any programs, but it's annoying. Has only happened twice so far when it happened a lot of times before I got the problems sorted out.

Any ideas?

Sigh. Got another BSOD. a ...9c Machine Check Exception.

Microsoft tells me it's a hardware issue that could be caused by overheating. Everest sensor tells me my CPU is 48 Celcius. Is this too high, and possibly the cause of the problem?
    Last edited by Vamp; 04-25-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Everest sensor tells me my CPU is 48 Celcius. Is this too high, and possibly the cause of the problem?
    Seems pretty normal I think for that CPU, I've had similar with stock cooling and they ran about the same temp.

If a blue screen is occuring on a regular basis and you have elimenated any possible problems that may be arising from software /drivers issues.

It could be caused by hardware incompatbility... which is baad m'kay. Have you checked your mobo and ram are all compatible? What make are your hardrives?

Stuff like that you sometimes have to watch for, i'm unsure if you said this was home built system or one you got from somewhere else... but good luck anyway!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast