Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought the Missus a new...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...mouse - this one:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=086

She says it's da bomb.

Seems fine to me; it uses up some of a bigger hand by catching the top pads of the palm, leaving the fingers to do their job more independently.

We've both had the Logitech VX Revolution for several years (love 'em) but I have always felt that the base of my palm rests on the desk and the next part of my hand contacting the mouse is my fingers, which leaves me to clamp the mouse between my thumb and pinky.

Works okay, but the new one moves under palm pressure, and right easily too.

Maybe another new one soon for old j2.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    It looks interesting, never been a fan of microsoft brand keyboards or mice though. I'll stick to my logitech G5
    Last edited by S!X; 08-24-2009 at 05:42 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Looks cool man. I had this Microsoft keyboard mouse combo for a while and loved it, but the kids lose wireless things

M$ wireless laser desktop 6000. This bigger mouse was very comfy .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I've always thought MS made very high quality peripherals.
    I had an earlier version of your model and liked it a lot.

Does that one have the "clickless" scroll wheel?

The one thing that keeps me chained to my Logitech MX1000 (on my third one) is the rechargeable battery.
    If MS would add that feature, I'd probably switch back.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post

The one thing that keeps me chained to my Logitech MX1000 (on my third one) is the rechargeable battery.
    BTW on the topic of batteries.
    My mx620 takes 2 AA batteries and they last for AT LEAST 6 months.
    With a mouse with rechargeable batteries they only last a couple days before they need charging again, so it actually seems much more user friendly to just use AAs and replace them twice a year (at most).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    With a mouse with rechargeable batteries they only last a couple days before they need charging again, so it actually seems much more user friendly to just use AAs and replace them twice a year (at most).
    "A couple days" is not the case with the MX1000...it'll go at least a week before starting to warn of low battery power.
    It's a moot point however, as it's so easy to just pop the mouse in it's cradle and recharge it while the PC is asleep or watching a movie or whatever.

So, to summarize...
    Never replacing batteries>replacing batteries- even if just twice a year.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Got to agree with you about the recharging thing. Nothing worse than having your mouse start playing up 5 minutes after the shops have closed.

The one I've got is only available as part of a desktop bundle (as far as I can tell), it's currently part of the cordless 1500 bundle though that's not the bundle I bought it with.

Thing is with all these "ergonomic" mice is that (generally) they have a "strange" feel until you've got used to them, so you won't know if you like them until you've used them for a few hours and maybe even a few days. Consequently if it's a model that's just been released you've got difficulty trying one out for a sensible amount of time.

That said, I find that generally I move this mouse with my palm, and my thumb and pinkie just hang over the sides. so my thumb is exactly where I need it at all times. Maybe my hand is smaller, or this mouse is bigger than some of the others mentioned.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Yeah, clickless.

I've yet to totally make peace with it, however - the wheel drag seems to be somewhat arbitrary, and I'm still trying to "find" the back-and-forth paging buttons (my thumb hits the mouse a little low), but my wrist - which is a problem, due to past injury - feels great.

I've liked the MS mice that I've had, and noticed that when I went from my original Intellimouse to the next one, the battery problems were totally whipped: the first one would go through a pair of batts in about two weeks, and the other would take about six months.

BTW-

To update:

Wifey rejected the new mouse as too big for her dainty hands, so I gave her the Logitech LS7 I was using with my old machine.

Of the mice I have, though, I still have to give the nod to my MX Revolution, even though Missus J managed to wear her MX out.

Anyway, to reiterate, battery life with MS mice is no longer a problem, and my rechargeable mice run at least a week between charges.

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    I find that generally I move this mouse with my palm, and my thumb and pinkie just hang over the sides. so my thumb is exactly where I need it at all times.
    This is exactly the thing I like most about the new MS mouse, 'cept for the thumb part, but as Lynx says, time will fix that.
    Last edited by j2k4; 08-25-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    "A couple days" is not the case with the MX1000...it'll go at least a week before starting to warn of low battery power.
    It's a moot point however, as it's so easy to just pop the mouse in it's cradle and recharge it while the PC is asleep or watching a movie or whatever.

So, to summarize...
    Never replacing batteries>replacing batteries- even if just twice a year.

The most dissappointing part of the MX1000 is that it's easy to forget to charge when it takes sometimes 3 weeks to need recharging.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I honestly never understood the point of wireless peripherals. Unless you have like a 50" TV that you have to stand like 10 feet away from, when are you even going to need to pull your peripherals so far back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast