Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Us servers safe

hi again sorry for all the posts, i have recently been using Europe servers based in amsterdam, but the ssl servers i am using are only in georgia, usa. is it just as safe to use a US server as it is to use a Europe server?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Yep, should be no different. Dont see Big Brother coming to shut down Giganews any time soon
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    thats good to hear thanks for the response

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    You're just fine.

I'm using Giganews which just so happens to be just a few miles from me in Austin, Texas.

Also, to quote Beck38 as he put is nicely...

Usenet servers are (and have been for many many years), in the U.S., come under 'common carrier' laws and regulations, like the phone company. The telcos cannot be sued for what they 'carry' (i.e., like a bomb threat for instance), or satellite companies (like 'Playboy' or Howard Stern) as they come under 'common carrier' laws. In fact, they are 'required' to carry any and all paid traffic, going back to 1934; very settled law.

yo

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    You're just fine.

I'm using Giganews which just so happens to be just a few miles from me in Austin, Texas.

Usenet servers are (and have been for many many years), in the U.S., come under 'common carrier' laws and regulations, like the phone company. The telcos cannot be sued for what they 'carry' (i.e., like a bomb threat for instance), or satellite companies (like 'Playboy' or Howard Stern) as they come under 'common carrier' laws. In fact, they are 'required' to carry any and all paid traffic, going back to 1934; very settled law.
    Wow, didnt know that.

Pretty cool law

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Hell, it's one of the few US laws that actually makes sense. A shame they weren't all so sane.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    You're just fine.

dont be ridiculous. usenet do not come under common carrier statutes. the services covered are defined by the statutes. if usenet was common carrier then usenet companies could no have a acceptable use policy.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

yo

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by pham View Post
    You're just fine.

dont be ridiculous. usenet do not come under common carrier statutes. the services covered are defined by the statutes. if usenet was common carrier then usenet companies could no have a acceptable use policy.
    As far as I know, all common carriers have Use Policies

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Thanks for the link Skizo, learn something every day.
    Since you're so close to giganews, can you give those servers a little "umph?" I have trouble getting 100mbps at school. Pretty close though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast