Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peer Guardian-Blocklist etc.

BANNED BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Do these kind of stuff worth to use???
    Any opinions from the gurus would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    If you are seeding to and from your home PC and in a country that is actively looking for P2Pers, and in fear of a warning from your ISP, then yes.

Anything is always better than nothing at all.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    mafija's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    But you cant hide anything from your provider,becouse all trafic going through his ruter.
    And if you are from USA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act
    Last edited by mafija; 07-26-2008 at 06:38 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    BANNED BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    I am using peerguardian2.
    And yes,im talking about a common home connection.
    What i see,is that in its blocklist there are a lot of things like universities(which btw,have strong pipes) so i was wondering if really is accurate at protecting you.
    About the provider you are right,they know whatever you do.
    Last edited by iamKy666; 07-26-2008 at 08:15 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    ^Depends what blacklist you import.

There are companies like MediaDefender that actively search for illegal filesharing and then get isp to send warning letters or worse, riaa, etc., sue you. i think pg2 helps alot against this happening.

peerguardian2 is especially needed in p2p networks like ed2k(emule), but in bittorrent - there are torrents = swarms, making it harder for anti-p2p companies. ex. -only go after public torrents

you can always go off the fact that your less likely to get lawsuit than win lottery, but the risk is still there

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Peerguardian is helpful also use the encryption options on your sites if they have them such as SSL or SSH. They can somewhat hide you internet traffic but noone really knows as we are not on the other side of the traffic. For the most part small community based sites will have a safe envirnment but open sites you have to be careful

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Tanuki's Avatar Poster
    Peer Guardian useful? Don't know, but try to see the situation from your opponents side. Would you be able to circumvent this protection? Suppose you are a company with substantial funds. Would you sit in your assigned ip range, which is blocked by every user almost by default and wonder if there is p2p traffic at all because you see none? Or would you rent a normal line from some big providers with dynamic ips like the average Joe Sixpack? I would. Therefore even if I cannot prove it, I am pretty sure Peer Guardian is nothing but snake oil.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Peerguardian can save you some grief on public trackers but on private ones I don't think it's of any value.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Peerguardian can save you some grief on public trackers but on private ones I don't think it's of any value.
    It's certainly of value on TL.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    c0njur's Avatar ? BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
    Peer Guardian useful? Don't know, but try to see the situation from your opponents side. Would you be able to circumvent this protection? Suppose you are a company with substantial funds. Would you sit in your assigned ip range, which is blocked by every user almost by default and wonder if there is p2p traffic at all because you see none? Or would you rent a normal line from some big providers with dynamic ips like the average Joe Sixpack? I would. Therefore even if I cannot prove it, I am pretty sure Peer Guardian is nothing but snake oil.
    I agree with Tanuki. Your more likely to block useful peers than hide yourself from the authorities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast