Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alternative to Xnews

Question Mark

I have been using Xnews for a few years to access my newsgroup servers. However, it seems unstable. It hangs up a lot and appears to require a lot of the PC resources. I want to find something better. Any suggestions on a free alternative newsgroup program that is easy like Xnews?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    asfdlq3i45poi's Avatar Master

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Try this one 2
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sabnzbd/

works for me

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Or the most common used:Grabit http://www.shemes.com/index.php?p=download

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    While NZB files are great, the hard truth is that the vast majority of USENET listings are *not* available as NZB files. So altbinz, nzb-o-matic+ and even sabnzbd are in no way replacements or alternatives for XNews. And Grabit leaves much to be desired. So USENET, the Internet's little open secret, is still awaiting a modern, up-to-date application which will handle binary files effortlessly with a minimum demand on system resources. Such a program would be well worth paying for and we are still waiting for the developer who will take up the challenge.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    t the vast majority of USENET listings are *not* available as NZB files.
    eh?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzb43 View Post
    While NZB files are great, the hard truth is that the vast majority of USENET listings are *not* available as NZB files. So altbinz, nzb-o-matic+ and even sabnzbd are in no way replacements or alternatives for XNews. And Grabit leaves much to be desired. So USENET, the Internet's little open secret, is still awaiting a modern, up-to-date application which will handle binary files effortlessly with a minimum demand on system resources. Such a program would be well worth paying for and we are still waiting for the developer who will take up the challenge.
    Usenet Explorer is the answer

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Believe it - the Vast Majority. This is easily demonstrated.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Usenet Explorer is the answer
    i dont really get what he is talking about(in several topics btw looks like a spam)

mysterbin\binsearch\nzbindex cover like 90%+ of usenet content from major groups and u can certainly create nzb files using them

Moreover, mysterbin allows you to search within archives which alone sometimes can double search results.. Downloading headers(classic way) and whatnot simply cant compete with that

both usenetn explorer and newsbin pro built in search is nice and cover many groups as well but alas they still cant let us search within archives

The best choice would be to somehow get mysterbin code and start your own private indexing site or set it up on a home PC. You set the groups u need to monitor etc. and it is space-efficient compared to storing headers(classic way of using news groups)

To the author:

just get NBpro or usenet explorer.

U need only to pay once(a small ammount of money) and thats it.
    (if you dont wanna use their built-in search)

I suppose the most close (and far more superior to xsnews)equivalent would be usenet explorer. so go for it and try(they have 15 day trial version)
    Last edited by Hypatia; 01-09-2012 at 12:37 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    i also use grabit, works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast