Thread: What do you think of this motherboard and cpu?

j0nathan's Avatar [][][][][][][]

Question Mark

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRa...82E16813131569

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103546

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131007

Hi, I just want to know what do you guys think about them, cant buy anything more expensive because I need them for next week and don't have too much money, so what do you think specially about the mother board. thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    Good choices. You can't go wrong with that mobo for that price.
    It's a stable mobo.

You could also check Conroe but the motherboards are more expensive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I have a customer build coming up next week using that very same mobo.
    We've used Asus frequently in the past (usually the higher-end offerings) and they are excellent so I expect nothing less from this one.
    I personally have a 4400 Toledo and can attest to it's capabilities.
    Amazing performance (very cranky OCing compared to my single core Opteron though) and the price is very reasonable. Good idea to jump on it before the 1mb L2 cache chips disappear.

Unless your chip comes with the heatpiped HSF (mine did but apparently some don't) you will probably want to look into an aftermarket solution- the dualcores can get toasty.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Good idea to jump on it before the 1mb L2 cache chips disappear.
    Good point, I'd forgotten that was going to happen.

Just ordered a 4800x2, the only 1MB cache processors my supplier can still get.
    £207 including tax.

I was a bit slow though, I couldn't believe the price so I did a little checking, and the price went up by £4 between looking at it for the first time and putting my order through. I suspect they still made a big error on their pricing, best price I've seen anywhere alse is about twice that.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    £207 including tax.

I was a bit slow though, I couldn't believe the price so I did a little checking, and the price went up by £4 between looking at it for the first time and putting my order through. I suspect they still made a big error on their pricing, best price I've seen anywhere alse is about twice that.
    Hmmm, i'm seeing a 4400+ at £160+-, think i should get it? i mean it's a good price...
    The 4800 is out now

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    £207 including tax.

I was a bit slow though, I couldn't believe the price so I did a little checking, and the price went up by £4 between looking at it for the first time and putting my order through.
    Nice chip and nice price, too.
    I bought mine used (2 weeks old) for $300 just two months ago.
    She's a boxed retail unit and I even got the heatpiped AMD HSF with it.

I think the big cache dual cores will hold their resale value for the next year or so till the next gen platforms completely overwhelm them so I'm happy with mine.
    I'm sure you will be as well.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Well, my usual supplier has let me down. They kept telling me the order for 4800 X2s was delayed. Then last Monday they told me they couldn't get any.

If I'd ordered with someone else who couldn't get any I could have saved about £20.

I started looking round for another supplier, but they were all much more expensive (except the ones with no stock). However, one site had an alternative part number.

Anyway, I started searching for the new part number and found another site who had stock at about the same price. Assuming the carrier does its job it arrives tomorrow.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.