Thread: Opening port on Softlayer

Hi guys...

I'm totally new to this seedbox thing, but I got my softlayer account up and running but I'm having two last issues in my quest to make this complete.

Two issues:

1) it looks like I need to open a port as utorrent is saying "no incoming connections. how do i get softlayer to open the port?

2) I can't get login to webui from my computer. I'm typing in http://mysoftlayerip:port/gui and it's just saying connection timed out. I also tried using an alternative port: 8080, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Thanks guys and the leeware tutorial works super...just these last two things!!!

Thanks

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    ramdac
    Quote Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
    Hi guys...

I'm totally new to this seedbox thing, but I got my softlayer account up and running but I'm having two last issues in my quest to make this complete.

Two issues:

1) it looks like I need to open a port as utorrent is saying "no incoming connections. how do i get softlayer to open the port?

Thanks
    There's no reason you need to contact SoftLayer to open a port. SoftLayer sells dedicated boxes - You have full access to your box. If you want a port open, open it. Some OSs protect ports and only allow the administrative/root user open ports. Try running it as root to see if that works.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Thanks...i'm running "root" now and i'm getting good speeds, so I don't think i need to touch the ports right now.

Thanks again for your reply!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    MrVictorRivers's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    when i had a softlayer, i never used the gui....if you are at home...you may find it easier to just remote desktop into it....hell....where ever you r....it may be easier to remote desktop into it....if ur usign root....that means your using linux (i believe)....but i would scrap it....and use win2k....its a lot easier...and at softlayer...u can do all of that automatically....over plesk

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Which OS? Probably using IPTables.