Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone can check the math if they like, but.

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Cash for Clunkers

A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline.

A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.

So, the average clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claim 700,000 vehicles - so that's 224 million gallons/year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's U.S. consumption, and 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl, so...

...the Obama administration spent $3 BILLION of our tax dollars to save $350 MILLION this year.

How good a deal was that???
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Excellent j2, I see you've mastered the Republican "kindergarten math" version of policy analysis.

When you're ready to move up to "big boy" analysis you can also factor in the benefits to the manufacturing and sales sectors, the tax revenue both will generate and the myriad smaller benefits that will accrue.
    Some will be long term- like decreased wear and tear, thus lower maintenance, on the road infrastructure due to the increase in smaller/lighter vehicles but, being long term, these will take a while to manifest and can be safely ignored by the Fox News 7 1/2 minute news cycle.

Nice going anyway though...a noble attempt to reduce a complex issue to the lowest common denominator.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Excellent j2, I see you've mastered the Republican "kindergarten math" version of policy analysis.

When you're ready to move up to "big boy" analysis you can also factor in the benefits to the manufacturing and sales sectors, the tax revenue both will generate and the myriad smaller benefits that will accrue.
    Some will be long term- like decreased wear and tear, thus lower maintenance, on the road infrastructure due to the increase in smaller/lighter vehicles but, being long term, these will take a while to manifest and can be safely ignored by the Fox News 7 1/2 minute news cycle.

Nice going anyway though...a noble attempt to reduce a complex issue to the lowest common denominator.

Perhaps you'd be so kind as to expand - tell us how you conflate a rough 900% cost overrun to things like road "infrastructure" savings, or "lower maintenance" (which in turn translates into less income for those whose jobs depend on the "maintenance" no longer required?)

Also please let us know when the auto dealers have recovered their 'clunker' money from SHITHEAD.
    Last edited by j2k4; 09-24-2009 at 01:55 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    You're not ready, so, no.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Cash for Clunkers

A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline.

A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.

So, the average clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claim 700,000 vehicles - so that's 224 million gallons/year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's U.S. consumption, and 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl, so...

...the Obama administration spent $3 BILLION of our tax dollars to save $350 MILLION this year.

How good a deal was that???
    I may have got this wrong Kev. But would you not have to multiply that sum by the lifetime of the vehicles to get the total savings.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Total savings, you say.

Total savings....to whom, Bob?

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    To society, Kev.

You know, the other people who inhabit your world.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    To society, Kev.

You know, the other people who inhabit your world.
    'Splain that - how "society" has benefited, I mean.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Lower emissions and oil consumption.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Isn't it about stimulating the economy, or have I missed the point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast