Thread: Power on a dell optiplex gx1 without the power switch?

Hello everyone,

I have an extra dell optiplex gx1 motherboard and im trying to use up some of my old ram and drives in my basement, and i'm trying to get this dell running, however, i do not have the power/reset switch part, only the motherboard.
    So is there a way i can turn this on without the switch? The power button on one of my other PCs broke off before, and i just ripped the wires out and simply touched them together to power on my PC until i got a new case, but it does not appear that can do that with the optiplex.
    I know, i could easily get the switch, but i dont really feel like dumping money into this old thing, and its always better to find a free solution.

If its not humanly possible, does anyone know where i could get the switch or a whole case for really DIRT CHEAP?

Thanks everyone,

Tanner.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    Are sure you there is no jumper switch on the motherboard? Motherboard normally start up by jumping the switch (touching the jumper switch together). We (computer techie) just use screw drive to jump the switch.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t--140874/ Back at that time we didn't beleive there was any way...don't think there is now either.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t--140874/ Back at that time we didn't beleive there was any way...don't think there is now either.
    Yup. I see that you remembered it too.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Clocker was right, it is a 10 year project.

You Canuckistanians have long memories.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Oh wow, i forgot all about that thread.

Wow, i did not know what i was talking about then...............
    Well, THAT hasnt changed. lol.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    i can get you a starting switch in a couple of months if you can wait, in my school we use those pc's to fuck aroudn with in the computer class..teacher had me student teach the class so i can probably just take one...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    He's already waited 7 months so patience is a virtue he possesses in abundance.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    can I curse? FUCK!
    you can take two wires that are still wrapped in their sheaths and attach each of them to the pins and the other end would be sticking out. that way, when you want to turn it on, you just take those two wires and touch each other. I don't know if it'll work that well though.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    you can take two wires that are still wrapped in their sheaths and attach each of them to the pins and the other end would be sticking out. that way, when you want to turn it on, you just take those two wires and touch each other. I don't know if it'll work that well though.
    The dell's don't work that way though. They need some sort of chip.