Thread: my sound quit working

popwar's Avatar Popwar
    earlier today my sound quit working. i've tried updating drivers rolling back the drivers , system restore, used disc i got with my motherboard to update the drivers to see if they woudl work and no luck. i plugged headphones into speakers making sure it wasnt the speakers didnt hear anything from headphones either. im fuckin pissed. i was thinking of buying a sound card but not sure if that would help or not. help would be appreciated. i have Realtek AC'97 ALC655 onboard sound

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Do you mean that you plugged headphones into the speaker socket on the case?

If you mean that the speakers have a headphone socket (mine has) and you plugged it in there then it proves nothing - if there's no signal getting to the speakers then it certainly isn't suddenly find it's way to a pair of headphones.

Assuming you mean the socket on the case, that raises a few questions.
    • Did you try the rear motherboard socket?
    • Is the front panel socket wired up and did you try that?
    • Have you checked the jumpers/connections on the motherboard FP (front panel) connector?
      The jumpers must be in place or the front panel correctly wired for the rear panel connector to work.

Come back when you've checked all those.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    i've checked all that. and i have a headphone input on speakers by volume knob.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Is the Realtek AC'97 Audio showing under 'Sound, video and game controllers' in the Device Manager?

I've seen a friend who bought a soundcard because he had no sound. His situation was caused by a checkmark for mute in the volume control.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    yea it says Realtek AC97 audio and nothing is muted. and theres no conflicts with it in device manager

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Try other speakers or headphones plugged directly into the output port of the motherboard.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    Try other speakers or headphones plugged directly into the output port of the motherboard.
    I think I suggested that, but since he was insistent on using the one on the speakers themselves, I thought "what's the point".
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    I think I suggested that, but since he was insistent on using the one on the speakers themselves, I thought "what's the point".
    I realize that, lynx. I was just trying another "push" so that popwar might try it the right way. I don't know if it'll help.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Onboard sound can be a real pain in the ass.

My last mobo's onboard sound worked great, no problems at all. The one before that, like yours, suddenly stopped working on day for not reason. My current mobo's onboard sound will work if I install the driver, but will only work until I have to restart my computer. Then I would have to reinstall the driver again for it to work.

Anyways...
    A pci sound card can be had cheap, many under $20. For all my problems above, installing my old stand-by sound card fixed the problem. It would probably be a solution to your problem, and it would be handy to have.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    i tried other speakers they didnt work either. im just going to buy a pci soundcard . although i took my computer to repair shop on the 18th. have to see what he says on monday (21st). thanks for all your suggestions