Thread: Guild wars gold

$we's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    i heard that even the best farmers only get a few thousand gold per hour. that's around 20hrs of play time for only 100k. so how can the people who sell gold for $$ honestly think that that is an efficient way to make cash? I can go work at Walmart and make 12 dollars in 2 hrs, ffs.

These guys must REALLY like the game that they would sell their gold as a *bonus* for the enjoyment they get from making the money, or just scamming he fuck out of people. I tend to lean towards the latter.

How do you think these guys justify themselves, economically? Are they really all scammers? Do legit sellers actually exist?

2. Games   -   #2
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by $we View Post
    i heard that even the best farmers only get a few thousand gold per hour. that's around 20hrs of play time for only 100k. so how can the people who sell gold for $$ honestly think that that is an efficient way to make cash? I can go work at Walmart and make 12 dollars in 2 hrs, ffs.

These guys must REALLY like the game that they would sell their gold as a *bonus* for the enjoyment they get from making the money, or just scamming he fuck out of people. I tend to lean towards the latter.

How do you think these guys justify themselves, economically? Are they really all scammers? Do legit sellers actually exist?
    You employ a team of Chinese "gold farmers" to use multiple accounts 24-hours a day farming gold. You use stolen credit cards, chargebacks or other tricks for purchasing accounts and thus the outlay is relatively low. I'm sure there is a substantial profit to be made by the person or persons who are setting up the "gold farms" (even the Chinese gold farmers are making more money than they would in a "normal" job).

Wikipedia's article is quite interesting on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_farmers

I don't know Guild Wars very well but bear in mind that these farmers will most likely have no qualms about exploiting any bugs in the game to maximise profits and will gladly camp the best spots 24 hours a day. With the use of bots you could maximise the profits even more by only needing a couple of people to maintain many accounts farming gold. Another, far more insidious way, of making money is the hijacking of people's accounts through keyloggers and just transferring money to the gold farmer's account.

My MMORPG of choice, LOTRO, does suffer from spambots advertising their services for selling gold but I can't say I've ever experienced any problems with finding sweet-spots overcamped. Perhaps because gold is relatively easy to make in-game. Come to think of it, I think they have banned Asian IP addresses from accessing EU accounts so that'll pretty much cut them off for the time being.
    Last edited by Cheese; 02-07-2008 at 01:57 PM.